Registry and Gift Forum
Options

What should I say??

I used to babysit a girl when I was younger, and her mother wants to buy me a bridal shower gift and wedding gift (she is invited to both).  When we spoke last, she asked me if I had a registry, and told her that we did not because we had everything for the house that we needed (we've lived together for some time and need absolutely nothing new for the house!).  She sent me an e-mail yesterday saying that she wanted to buy me a gift for my shower and to send her registry information or links.  Since I don't have a registry, what should I do? Should I send her links to things I like at Victoria's Secret, spas I like that she can get a gift card for??

What would you do??

Re: What should I say??

• Options
    I personally would register somewhere for upgrades such as sheets, towels and appliances.  You are going to have a lot of people who want to buy you gifts and registering makes it easier that way you will actually get things that you and FI want

I personally would find it weird the bride sending me pics of what she likes from Victoria's Secret, unless you were having a lingerie shower. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    http://wedding.theknot.com/bridesmaids-mother-of-the-bride/bridal-shower-ideas/articles/30-classic-andcontemporary-bridal-shower-gift-ideas.aspx

Here it says the more modern approach to the bridal shower would be lingerie (as well as more contemporary). 

Our house is quite small, and to be honest...we don't have room for any more towels are appliances/dishes in the kitchen!
  • Options
    Since you're having a shower, you should make a registry.  It doesn't have to be huge, but enough for the shower guests to choose from. 

Is there anything you can upgrade like linens and cookware?  Do a Sears registry if you're planning home improvements or an REI registry if you could use any outdoors equipment.  Also check Brie's sticky thread at the top of the board for creative ideas.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_should-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:12a69d3d-61d4-4986-a8ba-e6a749c695a5Post:1c7d1dd4-b51b-49c4-893b-98993bdf159f">Re: What should I say??</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://wedding.theknot.com/bridesmaids-mother-of-the-bride/bridal-shower-ideas/articles/30-classic-andcontemporary-bridal-shower-gift-ideas.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://wedding.theknot.com/bridesmaids-mother-of-the-bride/bridal-shower-ideas/articles/30-classic-andcontemporary-bridal-shower-gift-ideas.aspx</a> Here it says the more modern approach to the bridal shower would be lingerie (as well as more contemporary).  Our house is quite small, and to be honest...we don't have room for any more towels are appliances/dishes in the kitchen!
    Posted by ceilidhsaunders[/QUOTE]

Well that's nice. But pp was just saying that it would feel weird to get an email with lingerie links from a girl that used to babysit your child.

Also, if you are having a shower, you should register. You're going to be peppered with this question a million times from other guests.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    Like PPs said, you should register if you are having a shower. Showers are gift giving  events and I am sure you don't want to end up with 3 toasters, or worse, something you hate that you can't return or donate.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Options
    if you dont want to register and dont need things for the home, decline a shower. you'll be stuck with 10 toasters and ugy vases without receipts. if you really want a shower, then have your lingerie shower. ive been to one and it was ok, but it was just the brides sister and 8 of her closest friends. having a lingerie shower with inlaws and family would strike me as odd.
    Photobucket
  • Options

If you choose not to register it is the guests option (well it always is an option) to pick whatever they feel like to give you.  It is a gift and as the giver they get to choose.  Giving hints as to what you want (registry) helps avoid the 20 crystal bowls, vases, etc.  Bottom line, if you are having a shower, it is customary to bring a physical gift.  If you want your guests to be able to choose anything tell them that.  If you want to be in somewhat control of what you get (although they can still get you anything), I suggest making a registry.  Remember a gift is a gift and please be thankful for the things people are getting you. 

• Options
    KatWolfe7373KatWolfe7373 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    You have to register for a shower!  That's the point!  You can always register somewhere like Target and return gifts you don't want/need for store credit.  Then you can buy toiletries, groceries, etc...
  • Options
    You need to have some sort of registry since there are going to be showers.  How about something a little out of the box like board games or organization supplies or a fireproof safe.  No one ever said a registry just had to be for towels and plates.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards