Registry and Gift Forum

Work shower ettiquette

My wedding is being held in a different state than where I currently live and work, and it's about a 6 hour drive. A co-worker has started to plan a small shower for me, with about 8 of my closest female co-workers. If my wedding was local, I might have planned to invite most if not all of these co-workers. Is it rude to go along with the shower and not invite these women to the wedding? I don't want them to feel obligated to buy a wedding gift if they receive an invite, and I certainly don't expect them to drive 6 hours to attend the wedding. Will they expect an invitation?

Re: Work shower ettiquette

• If the shower is going to be at work and the guests will only be people you work with, then no, you do not need to invite them to the wedding (work showers are the exception to the rule regarding anyone invited to a pre-wedding event needs to be invited to the wedding itself).
  • I agree with sweetviolet, but I think you may want to pull aside the one co-worker who is organizing the shower and just make sure she knows that your wedding is out-of-state and you won't be inviting anyone from work.  That way she can let the others know, and they can decide what they want to do.
    murrayed
  • I agree with PP's. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would just write them each a heartfelt thank you note after the shower, and then maybe arrange to take them out for lunch one day as an additional thank you.

Or bring in something for the whole office to share and leave it in the kitchen/conference room - bagels, donuts, order pizza for lunch, fruit platter, cookies, whatever.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards