Registry and Gift Forum

Amazon wedding registry - anyone had experience?

Has anyone had any experience registering on Amazon.com?  Good, bad, ugly?  My fiance and I do a lot of shopping there, but I don't know about the on-line registry.  We're one of those couples that's already established - we have 2 of all basics.  We would like a few novelty gifts, but no one store seems appropriate.  (i.e.  digital camera, Kitchen-Aid mixer, a few random cookware items, flat screen tv, one of those cool Dyson fans without blades, wireless router, laser printer, and maybe a couple coffee table books.)

The above items are more "wish list" items that I feel embarrassed to formally register for.  Since we live in the south - traditional gifts are fine china, bakeware, crockpots, linens, and all the stuff we bought ourselves during our 20's. 

What do we really want and need? ...a new mattress, bedroom furniture, kitchen table & chairs, kitchen pantry cabinet, home improvement fund, a strong-armed crew w/ a truck who will help us move the things we already have.  Several friends tell me to register somewhere or we'll end up with a lot of things we don't want with no easy way to exchange them. It feels weird to make a list of the items we want.

Re: Amazon wedding registry - anyone had experience?

• Have at least one brick-and-mortar store registry. Some people feel the need to go to a store and shop. If you don't have a registry, you risk them buying a gift of their choosing. I would suggest doing an Amazon registry, a store registry (whoever will have the MOST stuff), and telling your parents that what you are really saving up for home improvement projects. Hopefully, that will get you more checks to spend on your home.

You could also try various sites, like myregistry.com (I think) that is for items, not for a specific store. But again, the non-online-saavy people may miss this boat.

Personally, we love Amazon. We are registered at Amazon, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Macy's. Amazon was great for all those random things you wouldn't find in a department store.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are registered on Amazon and it's fantastic. It's really easy for guests to use and you can register for anything, Seriously - we registered for a shovel, a hoe and pendant lamp! The site is easy and very user-friendly.

I agree that having one actual store is a good idea, as guests may want to get you something in person. From you list above Macys may be a good bet as you can get the furniture, cookware and mattress!

• We're registered at Amazon and so far so good. The only dowside I can see right now is that they don't offer a registry completion discount.

Other than that we like it because of the diversity of items.
    Oh no we dropped the groom!! imagePlanning Bio UPDATED
  • I agree you should use at least one store people can actually go to as well.  Everything I've read warns against too many online-only items since certain people won't or can't shop online.  Are any of the furniture items you need available at someplace like Target or a department store?  And you can inventory your household and look for anything you may be missing or that's nearly worn out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards