Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Not Needed/Unwanted Gifts

My fiance and I have lived together for a couple years. Our wedding is this weekend. I have looked at our registries and NOTHING is coming off of them. At the bridal shower, I received gifts that were nice, but not what I registered for, and none of them had a gift receipt, so I'm not sure if they were re-gifts or not. We are concerned that we will get a bunch of not needed and/or unwanted gifts at the wedding.

Is there a polite way to say, "thank you for the gift; could you tell me where you got it so we can exchange it?"

Thanks!

Re: Not Needed/Unwanted Gifts

• Options
    There is no real polite way to ask that.  You could say "Hey my friend really liked what you got me for the shower, where did you get it?"  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_not-neededunwanted-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:2a2b4c25-5ad5-4427-bb4d-c96fea65df60Post:cdb46fe7-6e25-4cb0-8909-67f6fff3f3f3">Not Needed/Unwanted Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I have lived together for a couple years. Our wedding is this weekend. I have looked at our registries and NOTHING is coming off of them. At the bridal shower, I received gifts that were nice, but not what I registered for, and none of them had a gift receipt, so I'm not sure if they were re-gifts or not. We are concerned that we will get a bunch of not needed and/or unwanted gifts at the wedding. Is there a polite way to say, "thank you for the gift; could you tell me where you got it so we can exchange it?" Thanks!
    Posted by akoehler79[/QUOTE]

Of course there is no polite way to tell somebody you want to exchange their gift!  Just use google and try to find stores that sell it.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    No polite way to say this, PP are right. Google will be your best friend. Also, Walmart takes tons of stuff back with no gift receipt.
  • Options
    twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2010
    I had this happen with a couple of items. I Googled and found places that sold the item, then took them to those stores. I found that Target (and some Macy's) will take items without a gift receipt for store credit. I'm sure there are other stores that will also, but those are the ones I discovered.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    Of course not!  How woudl you feel if someone said that to you?  If you can figure out where they are from, sure exchange them.  But you never tell the person who gave it to you that you did that!!!
  • Options
    Marissa:  you could try Bed Bath and Beyond.  They took back gifts over $20 without a receipt and gave us store credit, but we did have a registry there.  And they carry the Shark.
  • Options
    Just try to take them back to stores that carry that product. Keep in mind that Target does have a price cap on what you can return without a receipt, I think it's something like $200 per calendar year
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    135 Invitedimage 105 Ready to Partyimage 30 Missing Outimage
    RSVP Deadline: 9.30.10
  • Options
    sgsinlovesgsinlove member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    There absolutely is no polite way to ask. Not at all!! It was the person's responsibility who gave the gift to you, to place a gift receipt with the item and/or inform the cashier that the gift was from a wedding registry. It could also happen that the particular item you registered for is no longer carried by that store, which happened to us several times over. (I was ticked - all that time registering and just about everything ended up discontinued at that dept. store) However, going forward, your best bet is to go online and see who carries that particular item. Call them to make sure they carry or carried the item and explain you no longer have a receipt. Chances are, you won't get cash back, but a store credit is just as good. Yes, a pain in the butt, but you'll save your guest a whole lot of embarrassement. One more thing, make sure you get the name of the person you spoke to at the store, or talk to a manager to let them know you'll be coming in. That way, you won't have to fight it out with someone who doesn't have the authority to make the return.
  • Options
    It was the person's responsibility who gave the gift to you, to place a gift receipt with the item and/or inform the cashier that the gift was from a wedding registry.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this, but a gift giver does not have an obligation to make it easy for you to return his gift.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_not-neededunwanted-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:2a2b4c25-5ad5-4427-bb4d-c96fea65df60Post:44f79b5d-ae1e-48eb-a0a1-6015e7f39118">Re: Not Needed/Unwanted Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just try to take them back to stores that carry that product. Keep in mind that Target does have a price cap on what you can return without a receipt, I think it's something like $200 per calendar year
    Posted by retro_bride09[/QUOTE]

This is usuall for most places. They go by your drivers license number. If you reach your max on unwanted gifts just have your FI take it back on his.
  • Options
    I one bought a friend an antique crystal picture-frame..beautiful, expensive,etc etc etc as a shower gift because I knew how much she loved pictures and thought her wedding photos would look beautiful in it. Imagine my surprise when I found out that she was asking other friends where I got it because she wanted to return it because it didn't 'go' with her decor at the time. Yeah. No. *and btw...it goes with what she has now so...really?* 
    If you don't like it then sell it, return it or re-gift it. But for heavens sake don't go around asking people where they got it or asking a friend of a friend. You will come off as rude, greedy and ungracious. I don't want to come off as snarky, but as someone who has been on the other side of your issue I am just telling it like it is.
    Gifts are a way of your friends/family expressing love and joy. They are not REQUIRED to get you what you registered for much less anything! Say thank you, write a thank you note and return/exchange/sell it if you really don't want it.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    It's such a tough thing.  As a recipient, you don't want to step on toes.  But as a giver, you really want to make sure that the gift you give is used don't you?

I'm going to agree with PPs that you shouldn't ask the people directly though.

And PP, I know your feelsings were hurt but at least your friend didn't ask you directly.  It sounds like she was trying to be nice about the situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards