Registry and Gift Forum
Options

FMIL gift- opinions please.

I've only met my FMIL about 5 times and my FI is very bad at coming up with ideas for gifts. HOWEVER, I do stained glass work and was considering making her a stained glass of a Kokopelli (which i know she collects)
I can honestly say I would be very upset (on the inside) if she didn't appreciate the gift after putting all the hours into making it.  However, I don't just want to get her a gift card like FI suggested.

Do I play it safe or take a risk with the gift?

Re: FMIL gift- opinions please.

• Options

We did a gift card and will be sending a parent album when the pictures are in.

• Options
    Doing the glass piece sounds like a lovely idea. It will be a really nice personal touch that you've made it yourself, and anyone really should appreciate your thoughts and hard work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think that the stained glass piece sounds great! It's really personal and very sweet of you. She'd be crazy not to appreciate it!

• Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    If you want to do the glass work, I'd do it!  It sounds beautiful, thoughtful and I have no idea how someone could not appreciate it.

however, if it would *really* hurt your feelings if she doesn't love it and hang it up in her house, then maybe think twice about it.  You don't really know her, so it doesn't sound like you have an idea if she'll like it or not.  If you can give it to her with no expectations, then do it.  But there is a chance she might not love it as much as you want her to love it (might be not her style) and if that would do more harm than good to your relationship, I woudln't chance it.

Does that make sense?  Maybe you want to wait until you know her better and do it as a present later on.  It might be a lot of stress to try to this while also planning the wedding, so maybe do it after when you have more time?

EDIT:  here's an example.  I love cats.  My friends know how much I love cats.  Well, my very close friend made me a blanket out of a huge panel print of 2 kittens playing with yarn.  It is *so* sweet that she made it for me and she was so excited to give it to me.  But honestly, it is a little hideous.  I keep it in a closet because I can't get rid of it because she made it for me, which again is *so* sweet.  But it really is not my style and we'll never really use it.  And I feel a little horrible that I don't love it.
  • Options
    I think the stained glass sounds very sweet and lovely, but I agree with noodle that you might want to wait until you know her a bit better to give it to her if you're going to be hurt that she's not as excited to receive it as you are to make it.  I think when gifting homemade items, it's good to have a little bit of a thicker skin and realize that people appreciate different things and have different ways of showing their appreciation. 
  • Options
    I love the glass piece idea. It's very unique and personal, especially if she collects them. I would go with that. I think a gift card would send the wrong message, you know? Like "I don't know you or want to take the time to get to know you."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_fmil-gift-opinoins-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:43080ca6-5342-4cfe-a6b0-d975cc8c066dPost:16aeb646-159a-4707-9710-215f119e1df7">Re: FMIL gift- opinions please.</a>:
    [QUOTE] however, if it would *really* hurt your feelings if she doesn't love it and hang it up in her house, then maybe think twice about it.  You don't really know her, so it doesn't sound like you have an idea if she'll like it or not.  If you can give it to her with no expectations, then do it.  But there is a chance she might not love it as much as you want her to love it (might be not her style) and if that would do more harm than good to your relationship, I woudln't chance it.
    Posted by noodle_oo[/QUOTE]

This. If you aren't sure she will like it, maybe get her the gift card now and save the glass for another holiday when you know her better to know that she'll appreciate it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards