Registry and Gift Forum
Options

best way to say no gifts for a multicultural wedding???

My fiance is Cambodian and I am American. We will be combining traditions from both backgrounds at our wedding but one tradition he and his family take very seriously is that we do not register for gifts. It is customary in Cambodia for the guests to bring money for the bride and groom rather than gifts. I am wondering what the best way is to make this known to the guests from my side of the family. Should we say something in the invitations about embracing the Cambodian culture and request that guests offer money? I think if we don't register and tell close friends and family about the tradition then maybe it will spread by word of mouth. I have been reseraching online for invitation etiquette but have not found anything useful for this type of situation. Any advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: best way to say no gifts for a multicultural wedding???

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_way-say-gifts-multicultural-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:43727f98-ef2d-471e-9891-2b22fe8a8df3Post:c6236480-2a5d-4494-ae09-728f1ee4ed96">best way to say no gifts for a multicultural wedding???</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance is Cambodian and I am American. We will be combining traditions from both backgrounds at our wedding but one tradition he and his family take very seriously is that we do not register for gifts. It is customary in Cambodia for the guests to bring money for the bride and groom rather than gifts. I am wondering what the best way is to make this known to the guests from my side of the family. Should we say something in the invitations about embracing the Cambodian culture and request that guests offer money? I think if we don't register and tell close friends and family about the tradition then maybe it will spread by word of mouth. I have been reseraching online for invitation etiquette but have not found anything useful for this type of situation. Any advice?
    Posted by vwhitney2107[/QUOTE]

Do not put anything on the invite or mention anything about cash. Just don't register and spread by word of mouth that it is Cambodian tradition to not register (again, don't mention money).
  • Options
    You can't tell people to give you money.  Just because it's a Cambodian tradition doesn't mean that non-Cambodians are obligated to follow it, and it is very rude for you to dicatate what people give you.  Plus, gifts are never mentioned on invitations at all.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    How about Cambodian guest do what they want and non-Cambodian guests do what they want. No one says you have to register.
  • Options

Don't mention it on your invitations. My FI is Southeast Asian, we are registering for gifts and having a Card box at the reception for those giving giftcards or money. We are embracing both of our cultures.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just because it is a Cambodian tradition does not obligate your side of the family to honor it.  Spread the fact that you aren't registered by word of mouth.  Guests with either buy you a gift that they pick out themselves or give money but you cannot direct what they do beyond telling people that you aren't registered.

And, if you really want to embrace both cultures and traditions a small registry would be appropriate since most Americans are used to registries. 
  • Options
    You can't.  Your guests are not in Cambodia.  They can do as they please.

Surely your FILs realize that you're not Cambodian, and the guests from your side do not follow Cambodian tradition?

Why are you trying to make all of your guests adhere to one culture, anyway?  It's as odd as it would be to force your FIL's to completely follow American culture.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards