Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Should I be upset??

A good friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks, and we bought her a placesetting of her casual china for her shower. It's something we really want off of our registry, so we thought it would make a really great gift. Well, we went back in a couple of days ago because I was thinking I wanted to buy her something else to go with it. When the woman printed the registry, I saw that it said all 12 were still available. I told her there must have been a mistake because I had purchased her one, and I was under the impression that some other people had planned on purchasing some, as well. She told me it was no big deal, and that she would fix it for me, but after a few minutes, she told me that it looked like my purchase had been marked, but that it had been returned! I approached my friend, and she said that they returned the few that they had gotten because they didn't think they were going to get the whole set. Then she slipped up and told me they got cash back for it! I feel like I should be furious! We put a lot of thought into our gift. If she didn't think she'd get the whole set, why didn't she take the china off?? I feel like they wanted cash the whole time. Should I be upset? And should I let her know I think this is really tacky? What would you do?

Re: Should I be upset??

• Options
    I agree with the PPs.  It's just fiine to be upset!  I don't know why someone would register for something if they were just going to return it.  That's just weird.

As for another gift, I would just give cash.  From the original post, I get the impression that's what she wanted anyway.
  • Options
    Ditto. I would be upset, not say anything, and definitely not spend any more money on her. Oh, and I would also anxiously await a good laugh at the awkward thank you card she has to write (if you haven't already received the thank you)
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    That would irritate me.  I am registering for things I actually want, imagine that!  I wouldn't say anything.  Just let it go, words I live by.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options
    To be honest, we only got 3 sets of our dinnerware and returned them.  I was really bummed.  But, we took the money and applied it towards some purchases off of our registry instead of just taking cash from it.  We used it to buy the high end knife set that we really wanted.
  • Options
    since you were still shopping it sounds like her wedding and/or shower didnt happen yet. i think that was the rude part. i understand returning part of a set after the wedding if you cant afford to complete it, but doing it beforehand just sounds like you want cash.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I would be upset and think my friend was a total nutcase! Why have a registry if you're just going to return everything? Note to you: don't buy her anymore "gifts" lest she return them for more money.
  • Options
    I'd be upset a first, get over it because she's only human, and get her a nice card for the wedding.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Options
    Maybe she's having some financial hardships and needs the money more?  Who knows.  Yes, it does suck and I would be hurt as well, but you you never know whats its like to be in someone else's shoes so I wouldnt say anything and just give her a very small wedding gift, if anything at all.
  • Options
    Haha if you give her cash you should also include a gift tagless tacky gift. Something from a yard sale or something. Just for fun.  I would. We have a singing sun that gets around in our family. My SIL's family has an ugly ceramic poodle.  If I get the poodle for my shower or wedding, my SIL's sister is getting the sun for hers.
    Crosswalk
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards