Registry and Gift Forum
Options

What to tell people?

Some of my family and friends have been asking me what I want besides what is on our registries. But everything we need is on our registries, besides cash. I'm not sure what to tell people besides what I stated before. Some have mentioned that they want to get us something that will last forever, something that would become a family heirloom. I appreciate the thought, but I honestly can't think of a single thing.

Also, I didn't have a shower so are registries are basically untouched and we put a wide range of items from under $20 to $130. What would you say to your guests?
Anniversary

Re: What to tell people?

• Options
    I'd register for things more expensive than $130. People are probably hinting that they want to get you something of heirloom-quality, like crystal or silver. I added vases, picture frames, candlesticks, and decorative bowls/serving pieces for this purpose. Our registry consultant said that stuff is usually the first to be bought.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice flamingtwig! The thing is, we really don't need anything expensive and we know things like china and wine glasses will end up sitting in the basement.  And we don't have a formal dining room and rarely have guests over for meals, so dinner items would be a waste.

I guess I didn't expect people to want to spend so much on us!

Anniversary
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    What about some higher end kitchen goodies: stand mixers, great knife set, great pots and pans....these are things that should last you for decades if you take care of them.  My mother still uses her grandmother's cast iron skillet.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll definitely add a kitchen aid mixer..We already received the pots and pans set off our registry and we got some very nice kitchen knives for Christmas last year.  I guess thats what happens when you live together for a couple years before the wedding! Thanks again!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Just tell them that you're sure whatever they pick out will be lovely.  You aren't required to register for the fancy vase, if that's what they want to give you they can select it themselves.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_tell-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5862f92a-65c1-46a9-aff7-dcb03c64cd04Post:5be664d7-ac6a-4080-a1ab-7d6ee54770a6">Re: What to tell people?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just tell them that you're sure whatever they pick out will be lovely.  You aren't required to register for the fancy vase, if that's what they want to give you they can select it themselves.
    Posted by quotequeen[/QUOTE]

The only problem with this is that you run the risk of them buying you something horribly ugly or at least not in accordance with your taste. It's better to beat them to the punch and find things you like to add to the registry.

Another idea that may be more useful than home decor is upgraded bedroom items: nice blankets (Williams-Sonoma has a lovely cashmere one), down comforter, better pillows, high thread count sheets, etc.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_tell-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5862f92a-65c1-46a9-aff7-dcb03c64cd04Post:00e5c408-54b9-476f-97d7-c8fd3191f318">Re: What to tell people?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to tell people? : The only problem with this is that you run the risk of them buying you something horribly ugly or at least not in accordance with your taste. It's better to beat them to the punch and find things you like to add to the registry.
    Posted by flamingtwig72[/QUOTE]

That's part of receiving gifts from a large group of people.  Some of them might choose things you don't like, and you accept them graciously anyway.  Adding more things to your registry is fine if you want to do that, but when people ask what you want that's not on your registry it's usually because they want to feel like they're getting you something more "personal" without coming up with it themselves.  It becomes a ridiculous game that I suggest just stepping out of by telling them you're sure whatever they get will be lovely.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    i would think honestly if there is anything that maybe the store didnt sell that you would have put on your registry had they had it.
    and if there is anything big ticket that you need or want, you can decide if you want to let them know they can contribute to that goal. house down payment, new fridgerator, home remodel, new car, family vacation, anything. you know your family, you can decide.
    10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    you'll also want to think long term. you may not have a formal dining room now, but in the future you may be living in a house that does have a dining room and want to host family Thanksgiving dinners, etc. so the china and silverware will come in handy for those types of events. just a thought in case people keep asking about more big ticket items! GL!
  • Options
    I am the same way I didn't want anything more then $100 on my registry but the lady at the store convinced me other wise. She said that alot of people go together and by something as well, so they can get you something nicer!
    The most beautiful things in the world are not seen nor touched. They are felt with the heart. -- Helen Keller Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards