Registry and Gift Forum

Registry Etiquette - Small Destination Wedding

My FI and I are having an intimate wedding in Florida where we do not live.  We have lived together for 6 years, and as such we have everything we need really, however his sister is telling me that we should still do a registry.

Our reservation is that we are only having 30-35 people at the wedding (including the wedding party  my FI and myself) and that 90% of the guest list will be traveling from other states.

Is it appropriate to do a registry given the small wedding? We do not assume that people will bring gifts because of the distance they will be travelling and because they all know that we have been together for so long, but we also know that many of our family and friends are traditional and woudl want to give us something to start our married life together.

What is the ettiquette for destination and or small wedding registries?  I am honestly clueless on weddings. 

Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Registry Etiquette - Small Destination Wedding

• I would make a small registry regardless. Particularly if anyone offers to throw you a shower which might well still happen, they'll need to know what to give you. There's no reason your destination wedding needs to change whether you register or not.
    Lizzie
  • Besides Retread's point about the etiquette of the shower, I think it's personal preference.  We had a destination wedding with 35 guests, and we didn't register since we declined a regular shower, and we didn't want anyone to get the impression that we expected a gift on top of them traveling and paying so much to attend the wedding. 

• I agree with PPs.  Make a small registry of maybe 50-70 items in all price ranges for guests to choose from.  You're right that some probably won't get you anything, but a lot of people (like me) feel awkward showing up empty-handed and would like guidance on a small gift or two.  This also allows you to have a shower if that's the plan.  Plus, I know I've given gifts to a few couples who were having intimate destination weddings that I was not invited to because I cared about them but we weren't close enough for me to attend.  My go-to gift in those cases are towels or kitchen linens.  So you may get a few extras that you aren't anticipating.

I'd recommend BBB because it's a store that has everything and it's relatively low-priced.  Plus there are coupons.  Maybe look to upgrade a few things - a small or appliance or two, some new towels, a new set of sheets, and some of the more interesting small kitchen gadgets.  Additionally, registering for china or crystal (if your pattern isn't one of the really expensive ones like LIsmore) would probably be appropriate as well, particularly if your family is traditional.  You could register by the piece to give plenty of options below $100.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you everyone!  

We are not planning on accepting any showers for the exact reason you are mentioning.  Only family and extremely close friends are invited and only 4 of these people live in my state.  

Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • With a small destination wedding it is likely your guests ar spending big bucks to get there..I would not go too overboard on the registry issues out of respect for their pocketbooks. 
    Absolutely decline the shower...and keep the announcement on the quiet.   Once you return , deed done, if anybody offers a celebration then great, otherwise doing less requires expecting less.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards