Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Register before christmas?

My FI and I aren't getting married until next June, and we had planned on Registering around December, I was just wondering, should we register before Christmas so that if people wanted to buy us Christmas gifts as a couple, they could see what we need? We're also having a small wedding with very close family and friends that know us very well, and we know noone would take offence to this, or would think it gift grabby...but I just dont know if it is proper...help please. Oh, and plz be nice, im a relatively new poster :) lol
Our Happily Ever After wedding ticker Anniversary

Re: Register before christmas?

• Options
    I see no problem with registering before Christmas, but I would not publicize the registries for people to use to buy you Christmas presents.  Meaning, don't tell people unless they specifically ask.  They can probably find it on their own.

The only issue is that a lot places change there stock after Christmas, so a lot of stuff you register for might end up discontinued in the spring.  If you register in Dec, just make sure you check it again in like May to make sure the stuff is still available.  For instance, Crate and Barrel has a big stock changeover in April (they told us that when we registered).
  • Options
    Yes.  Just make sure for the patterned stuff you pick ones that aren't seasonal, and that have been staples for a while, so you don't end up with half a set and unable to get the rest later.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I hadn't planned on telling anyone about the registries, I just thought that it might be something people go looking for around that time. Also, I hadn't even thought about the fact that most stores change their stock after Christmas, so its a good thing you reminded me! 

• Options

We did the same thing.  Our family usually asks for Christmas lists though so we only registered for stuff that we wouldn't mind getting as presents and could use now and then we'll just tell them there are things on our registry that we would love to get for Christmas.

Just make sure to update it if you put any seasonal stuff on it after Christmas.

• Options
    I think it's a great idea.  If someone asks you what you want for Christmas just point them in the direction of your registry.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help guys! I am also just really excited to register and wanted a reason to do it early haha, and thought this would be a great idea if only for really close family to be able to get a head start on gifts for christmas, cause I know for a fact that our families would be buying us stuff for our new place, might as well point them in the right direction!
  • Options
    If you do keep in mind that inventories of stuff may change drastically.  We had to change our towels and some sheets between registering in February and our August wedding.  Also keep in mind that if you do get items off your registry prior to the wedding then you're technically not supposed to use them until the wedding.

We purposely didn't register before Christmas because DH was so strongly against it.  He feels that wedding gifts are things that you need but that a Christmas gift is something that you want.  We put a lot of household items on there and opening a crock pot or flatware just wasn't what he wanted for the holidays.  I know not everyone feels that way though.
  • Options
    Hahaha, yeah I see what you're saying. However, I am the type to get excited over a crock pot, or a vacuum (got a steam cleaner last year :D ) hahah...and as for the gifts not being used for the wedding, I dont expect anyone but closest family (mom, FI's mom, sister etc) to use the registry that early, and technically if they get those things for us for christmas, they aren't wedding gifts, they're christmas gifts... :), but yeah..I'm still weighing the pro's and cons before actually registering before the "normal" time frame, I dont know if I want to bother having to update it much... Thanks everyone for your input and advice. 
  • Options
    I'm all for practical Christmas gifts.  I would not buy a Christmas gift off someone's registry before they were married though, but as long as you don't push it on people I think it's fine.

Now if someone had gotten married in November I might check to see what was left on their registry come Christmas.  Or a gift certificate to that store. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think that's a great idea.  We had also done this as my in-laws wanted to start purchasing things off our registry.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Also keep in mind that if you do get items off your registry prior to the wedding then you're technically not supposed to use them until the wedding.

Banana, I don't see why that would apply here.  You're not supposed to use wedding gifts, but I don't know why you couldn't use things that happen to be on your wedding registry, but that were given to you for a non-wedding occasion.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    I guess to me it's that the reigistry is for your wedding.  So the items you put on there are related to the wedding date.

This is also why DH felt so strongly about not registering until after the holidays and his birthday.  We registered for wedding gifts.  Not for gifts for other occasions. 
  • Options
    I understand where you are coming from, however I know that the FIL and my mom, (not just anyone) will buy us these practical things regardless to whether or not we register for them before Christmas, so if they happen to check the registry and find out the exact color of something that we prefer, or the specific type of crock pot (examples)..then I'd rather them be able to have that option to get those things knowing we want/need them and this would remedy the chances that we may have to return something. I'm not going around telling everyone that I'm registered and that I want all of it for Christmas gifts...Im not gift grabby, I think im being practical. 
  • Options
    My daughter and her groom, who are also marrying in June,  are both teachers with several days off just prior to and at Thanksgiving.  Because they want to enjoy the registry experience, they plan on registering then. 

They also have been asked by family members to register sooner than later so that a few of the registry items can be purchased for Christmas.  Our families are cost conscious and over achievers; we tend to do things ahead of time for several reasons.  Because the couple just moved into their first home, they need a lot of stuff but are hesitant to make lots of purchases because they know that if they are patient, many items will be purchased for them as gifts.  To that end, they are trying as best they can to live off of things they used in college apartments, and via hand-me-downs.  For our part, we are trying to take advantage of current sales and stretch our dollar as far as possible.

One uncle, to jump start their new life next summer, has begun buying a "summer fun" wedding package for them now to give next June.  He is buying a cooler and filling it with all things summer/barbeque/tailgating.....sling back chairs, patio umbrella, etc.  Another aunt is picking up patio furniture for a song.  As long as the purchaser has the space to store it, I see it as a win-win!!

Registering early doesn't presume you are asking for gifts, but it is nice for those who are thinking ahead in their purchases!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards