Registry and Gift Forum

Charity registries?

Hi, 

We will be getting married in January and would like to do a charity registry instead of the typical type. We have been together for 4 years, are moving long distance soon after the wedding, and also just don't feel comfortable asking for home stuff we don't need. 

Both of us would like to create a charity registry where we pick our own charities and our guests can donate to those instead. Does anyone know of websites? I have seen one or two, but they don't have a full list of charities, only a few.

Thanks!

Re: Charity registries?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_charity-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:74e43c52-3864-4bed-8339-0ffe4b6454f9Post:2cc62ec2-8135-478d-b11c-e1f2ee842c14">Re: Charity registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your heart's in the right place, but those registries, like honeymoon/house registries, are actually a faux pas because they're a specific request for cash. Word of mouth is the way to do this. When asked about gifts/registries, you can respond, "We don't need a thing. If you wish, please consider a donation to your favorite charity instead. We'd like to give back to the community in gratitude for its support of our marriage."
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

This.

Or better yet, nix charity from your wedding altogether.  I realize that sounds harsh, but I would never donate to a charity in honor of someone's wedding.  When my friends/family get married, I want to give THEM something.  I'll support cancer research and starving children in Africa another day - but on their wedding day, my generosity is going to the couple.
  • I had a friend at my church who got married a couple years ago.  It was her 2nd marriage and they were both older and combining 2 households.  They didn't want any gifts and instead if people really insisted on giving them a gift, they would prefer that non-perishable food items be donated to our church food pantry.  They had set out a small box in case people did bring anything and the food that was donated took up several more of those boxes. 

Her bridesmaids did something similar for her shower - they asked people to bring a brand-new toy to be given to a local children's home (they got married in December) and asked everyone to wrap them so that the bride still got to open something at her shower.  A few people still got them a "real" gift and they were very appreciative, but they were so much happier with the amount of food and toys that were given.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_charity-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:74e43c52-3864-4bed-8339-0ffe4b6454f9Post:d9f5ff2a-5fe9-49ec-92c3-084e084682d6">Re: Charity registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Charity registries? : This. Or better yet, nix charity from your wedding altogether.  I realize that sounds harsh, but I would never donate to a charity in honor of someone's wedding.  When my friends/family get married, I want to give THEM something.  I'll support cancer research and starving children in Africa another day - but on their wedding day, my generosity is going to the couple.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

This.

I will also add that I get a bit prickly when I'm essentially being told to make charitable donation.  I'd be tempted to give you a card with a note inside that a donation has been made in your name to a charity or political cause that I know you despise.  Sounds harsh but that is my gut reaction to donation registries and donation favors.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_charity-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:74e43c52-3864-4bed-8339-0ffe4b6454f9Post:75f691a7-7381-4e6b-9f3e-e50a409f982e">Re: Charity registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Charity registries? : Why is that your gut reaction?  I was thinking of doing this, charity registry as opposed to registering for material things......My OH and I have been together for 5.5 years, and really we have all we need.  Why are people against this, I guess I still don't get it? I'd be happy if ppl were choosing to help those less fortunate. In response to the OP's question, I thought that this was nice: <a href="http://www.oxfamamericaunwrapped.com/Charitable-wedding-gifts.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.oxfamamericaunwrapped.com/Charitable-wedding-gifts.html</a> but I guess not?  :(
    Posted by whereyat[/QUOTE]

Because charitable donations should be of your own choosing and come from your own volition, not because someone told you to do it.  Also, I was raised to believe that charitable donations should be done without recognition or fanfare.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I'd give Autism Speaks my kidney if they needed it, but I wouldn't ask ALL my guests to donate. Donating to a charity comes from the heart, and isn't demanded.

I can't fathom asking everyone at my wedding to donate without choice to a charity of MY choosing.

If you want to make a donation in the "name of your H and yourself" then that would be appropriate, but please do not force your wedding guests to do the same.
  • I am very disappointed by the responses.  I was planning on coming up with a short registry, and asking folks to make a donation instead to one of a couple charities, but for those who prefered to give us a gift, we would have a few things listed as well.  We are not telling people to make a donation, we are recommending they do so in our honor using the cash they would otherwise spend on a gift for us.  To help those who are less fortunate than us share our joy and celebration.

Anyone think of a not tacky way to do it?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards