Registry and Gift Forum
Options

china...is it necessary in this day and age?

Ok I am confused, my tells me i need to register for china but I dont feel like anyone does it anymore. I was just going to register for nice everyday stuff.

What did everyone else do?

Thanks!

Re: china...is it necessary in this day and age?

• Options
    Some people register for it, some don't. Do you think you'll use it? If not, register for some nice every day china or dinnerware. We wouldn't use formal china, but ended up getting a few Kate Spade patterns of everyday china. It is definitely fancy enough to be fancy, but also plain enough to use every day.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Totally depends on you.

We'll use it so we registered for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thinking about our lives down the road, china will definitely come in handy for us.  Some people will never use it though.  It really depends on you, your FI and what you want/need
  • Options
    It depends. We need nice everyday stuff more, but if we already had a full set of dishes, I'd register for china. I'm not registering for china or silver because eventually I'll inherit my mom's. My family DOES use it on Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter, though.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Like everyone said, it depends on if you feel like youre going to use it or not. 

We didnt register for china, not that i have a problem with it or anything, i just do not feel that we would use it. I dont want people to waste their money on something I am not going to use. I have been in love with fiesta ware all my life. I couldnt afford the set when my fiance and I moved into together, so we put it on the registry! 

Just go with how you feel!!
  • Options
    We definitely have registered for formal china and despite my wedding being 10 months away....9 sets have been purchased.  I'm so excited because it was one of the main things I really really wanted.  We're a couple that entertains a lot and we plan on hosting family get togethers.  I also didn't need a lot of everyday things so I wanted things I would have forever.  I think it just really depends upon how you see yourselves and if you think you'll use it.
  • Options
    I think it is. Fortunately I inhereted my grandmother's. Right now it is at my parents house waiting for me to pack it up and bring it over one of these days. It was a pattern I grew up using and I love it. We registered for an every day set at Pottery Barn, which I'm sure we will get lots of use out of.
  • Options
    same as pp. i will inherit some, so other china isn't necessary.  we already have a full set of every-day places, so we have no need for anymore plates.
  • Options
    We're just registering for nice-ish everyday stuff. We dont need China either. We'd only use it maybe 1 or 2 times a year, and definitely not for several years, as most special dinners happen at my parents or my in-laws place. By the time we're ready to start hosting nice fancy dinners, my parents will have given us their nice china. So it seemed kind of pointless to get our own since its not important to us.

Get what you want, its your house and wedding. You dont want a bunch of stuff lying around if youre not gonna use it, think of the storage! Yikes!
    Trust your heart, love knows the way. Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    we registered for everyday china- Mikasa Swirl- nuetral, study but beautiful.  I already have my grandmother's china which we use everyday anyway- China made in Poland which has lasted for years even though it often goes in the dishwasher :( and I will inherit my mother's china someday. If you decide not to register for it, you can always purchase it for yourself.  It is not as if its a permanent decision!  Yet if you are from a traditional family china is a very traditional shower and wedding gift.  I probably wouldn't have registered for it but my mom insisted and I ended up with 12 place settings and all extra bowls and what not from shower so it was the gift of choice from my old fashioned traditional side of family and parents' friends.... If it will make your mom happy- just do it.  I ended up with a gorgeous full set whic hI will always remember came from family and friends!   
  • Options
    Everyone else summed it up, it depends on if you think you are going to use it down the road. At first I had to think about it and then went back and added it but the more I thought about it, I was like, yeah, I am going to have holiday family meals and whip out the good china.
  • Options
    I agree, it depends on what you'll use.  We didn't register for china.  We have everyday dishes that we like.  We love to entertain, but for big dinners (we hosted Thanksgiving and Christmas this year), we are happy to use our regular dishes.  We really like them!  We did register for some serving bowls/platters to help with times like that, and some cute, fun plates and glasses for smaller get-togethers.
  • Options
    thanks ladies...I found a really nice set at crate thats china but can be used everyday family dinners as well. I actually have an older set of plates that I am going to get some fun bowls and mugs to mix and match for more casual everyday like making grilled cheeses and pizza!
  • Options
    We registered for it. I was told that if I ever thought I would want it, then I should get it now. It's not typically something that you would just go out and buy for yourself. Also, you might consider if there are any china sets in either of your families that you might be able to get. Or, just have a look at some and see if there's something you totally fall in love with! :)
    BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Options
    Of course it's not necessary.  But do you see yourself 30 years from now wanting to entertain family and friends with nice china on holidays or special occasions?  I do, and I can't imagine splurging for it myself, so if I don't get it now, I never will.
    There is also a wide selection of more causal everyday dinnerware that also looks very nice, is high quality, and could be used to entertain, if you don't have the room or if you don't see yourself wanting an extra set of dishes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We did NOT! We are not china kinda people.. Neither are our friends or Family. The Fiesta ware will work for our lives. And if one day down the road we became china kinda of people.. I'm sure I will inherit my great grandmother when I need it.I would def decide on who you are.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic width=220>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Like others have said, I feel like if we dont get it now we wont ever get it!  So we are registered for it and I hope to get it more than anything else.
  • Options
    DItto pp's.. it all depends on what you and your FI's needs are and whether or not you forsee needing and/or using it. Some people will never touch their china and it's a waste and the only reason they got it was because mom or grandma insisted on it. Others will entertain on a regular basis and have a need for it. That's how we decided to register for both every day china and fine china. I love to cook and entertain and can't wait to start hosting dinner parties and holiday family gatherings so I know our fine china will be put to good use. Plus, I will love how every time I use it I'll remember the friends and family who purchased the pieces and that they were from our wedding. My mom still gets a little sentimental when taking her china out of the hutch because some of the family members who bought their wedding china have now passed on.
  • Options
    I don't think it is necessary to register for it if you aren't go it use it.  My fiance and I just registered for nice everyday dinnerware that we know we'll use.  People want to get you something that you want and will use; not that will sit in some cabinet untouched.
    Heather and Tom 10.10.10 10.10.10 - Tom and Heather Sitting on the Dock
  • Options
    If you think you'll use it then I would register for it.  If you think it will just collect dust in your basement then I wouldn't bother with it. 
  • Options
    We have a tiny house & the kitchen is smaller (10 feet of counter space including the microwave & sink & stove) than the one in my first apartment.  Whenever we have a group of friends over for dinner or a party we usually just use paper plates.  FI & I are both close to 40 & neither of us thinks we will suddenly become formal dinner givers once we get married.  So, we aren't getting china for many reasons. 
    1) no place to put it
    2) won't use it often enough to justify the expense
    3) no dining room table (we got rid of the one we had because all we ever used it for was to pile stuff on top & under it - even after I cleaned it off we never sat at the table to eat)    
  • Options
    lizzie-annelizzie-anne member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    I think you should consider it's use and purpose:
    Will you actually use it and put up with the washing by hand every time? Is it symbolic of your personal style? Will it become a family heirloom?
    If you answer no to these questions, then I would say you don't need to register for china.

We are not registering for china for three reasons:
    1) My parents have a very special set from Germany that I've always adored and will inherit someday. When we told my parents of our engagement, my mother said she would give us 6 place settings on our wedding day.
    2) Very likely, we won't use it but a handful of times over the next 50 years.
    3) How many sets of china does one family need??? Maybe our child will love his/her grandparent's set as well and we can continue to pass it down.
  • Options
    My family only uses it on special holidays: Christmas, Easter, etc. So I won't be needing any until we're the "old folks" who are hosting those celebrations. We didn't register for it.
  • Options
    I inherited a set a few years ago and have been I'll be inheriting another set.  I most certainly did not register for a third!
    I've heard of people who thought it was passe to register for China - only to regret it down the road and have to buy it (very expensive to buy all at once).
    Either way, ti's up to you.  But if you do get some, please use it. :)
  • Options
    i registered for china because my fiance and i are looking forward to hosting holidays and would like to have "special dishes". if you feel this way there are plenty of nice patterns that are not so expensive so you can register for both.

my brother and his fiance do not want china so she registered for nicer everyday plates. They are all white and have a pretty pearl around the outside. My thing with this is (1) They seem really fragile for everyday dishes and (2) If you use them everyday they are going to chip faster and wont be so nice for the special holidays.

It is your choice though. China is NOT a must.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards