Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registering Ethical Dilemma

Here is a question for you folks...

We received a flatware set that we registered for in the mail today.  The packing slip said it was being sent to an Andrea in NY, I'm an Andrea living in Minneapolis.  The box had it being shipped to me.  I do not know the person who purchase the set either.

Do I keep it?  Do I call Macy's?  I feel like this girl will not get her silverware and that makes me sad.  I also kinda want them and feel like Macy's should send her the silverware anyway.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Registering Ethical Dilemma

• Options

Don't keep it. As much as you love it, the girl they were meant for will love it just as much. Plus, what if they don't have a whole lot of money?? I think that if you keep them you will just look at them and feel guilty. Contact your post office, or call macys or both. You said it makes you sad thinking the girl would not get her silverware....that should be enough to make your decision. It's stealing.

Quick moral lesson here-when i was 10 years old, my cousins and I always checked my grandmas mail for her and one day she recieved something that wasn't hers and she told us to put it back, instead we opened it and it was a $50 gift certificate for a just married couple. I was so sad and still feel guilty about it, especially for the person that payed for it and for the couple, what if they were talking bad about that person because they never recieved a gift from them. We ended up throwing it away we were so scared. I'm 20 years old and still feel guilty about it every once and a while.

• Options
    If you don't think it was meant for you, why would you think of keeping it?

• Options
    Let's look at it from the other direction.  Another Andrea somewhere gets one of your wedding gifts by mistake.  So do you want the wedding gift that your friend/family picked out for you or should she just keep it because she thinks it's pretty?

How is this even a question you need to ask?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Call Macy's and ask them what to do.  Maybe they will send the girl a replacement and let you keep the one you received.

Okay maybe not, but you'll never know if you don't attempt to do the right thing!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-ethical-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:849c2469-22e3-484d-8331-d804b12a0560Post:c7475b7e-2a0d-466f-a73a-ee49377eb0af">Re: Registering Ethical Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you don't think it was meant for you, why would you think of keeping it?
    Posted by Viczaesar[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.

Come on now Andy.  That's just shameful.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-ethical-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:849c2469-22e3-484d-8331-d804b12a0560Post:ca2afd61-4e55-41fa-a5df-0464fbbaf95d">Re: Registering Ethical Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]Call Macy's and ask them what to do.  Maybe they will send the girl a replacement and let you keep the one you received. Okay maybe not, but you'll never know if you don't attempt to do the right thing!
    Posted by frenchy730[/QUOTE]

This. You received an item that isn't yours. If someone else received a super expensive gift from your registry, wouldn't you be upset?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Ok ok ok - I guess I was thinking that it was Macy's problem - not mine.  I'm calling them right now and will send it back.  Thanks for the advice ladies!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards