Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registry Info With Invitations??

This has probably been posted before, but I'm having a serious dilemma as to whether or not to include my registry information with my invitation.  We want a really  nice honeymoon, and the wedding funds will pretty much be depleted by honeymoon time.  We've registered with honeymoonwishes.com and would really like all our gifts to go there... what do you all think???

Re: Registry Info With Invitations??

• Options
    No, you do not put any registry info with your invitations!  If you want people to know where you're registered have it spread by word of mouth from your WP or parents or you can put it on your wedding website (you can make one for free with the knot) and include the web address on a separate insert in your invitations.  You can word it like, "Other wedding information and be found on our website at www.website.com" but you can't say anything about your registry on the insert.

Also, your registry sounds like a cash only registry which is really not cool.  If you're going to have this you should also do a small traditional registry for those who wish to get you something for your home.  Yes, I know that they would still be spending cash but some people don't like to outright give cash.  And some people don't like purchasing things online.  Think about some of the older generations attending your wedding.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That it's incredibly rude and tacky. 1). Don't include any registry information anywhere with your invites, it looks gift-grabby. 2). Don't have a honeymoon registry, because you really shouldn't be asking your guests to pay for your honeymoon for you. If you can't afford one, don't go.

If you have nothing you want to register for just don't set up a registry. Pass the word around that you're all set, but you are saving up for XYZ (not the honeymon!) and people will most likely give you cash.
  • Options
    i agree. a honeymoon registry is by far the most appalling, stomach churning topic i have encountered on this board. this shouldnt even exist. no one wants to pay for you to get a spa massage, play with dolphins, or go on a snorkel trip. and never ever list any registry info on any formal invitation of any kind. thats horrifying no offense. if you have close family and they know where you want to honeymoon, IF THEY WANT, they will give you money for the wedding, which in turn, you can use for your honeymoon.
  • Options

I disagree with PP's I love the idea of a Honeymoon registry, very close friends of mine registered for their honeymoon, and I loved "shopping" off of that, I didn't find it tacky or terrible that my friends wanted a nice honeymoon, and I was happy to contribute!

I do think that some people might want to purchase a little gift off of a traditional registry, so try for a few upgrades to what you already have.

And obviously as PP said no registry info on the invitations, I am including a little insert with the invites that says "please visit *website* for directions, accomodations, and additional guest information"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    SparrowSongSparrowSong member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2010
    I don't mind honeymoon registries that much, but if anyone wants to contribute, they should do so voluntarily and just as little perks that add to the trip. In no way should guests be expected to fund the bulk of a honeymoon. Airfare and hotel needs to be on you. (Not to mention you have to pre-book this stuff and you're not going to receive you gifts until around the time of the actual wedding... how can you plan anything when you don't know what quanitiy you'll have to spend?)

But no, don't put it in your invite. Nobody HAS to give you anything, and including that info in an invite is rude because it suggests gifts are obligations, not gifts. Demanding nothing but cash on top of that.... well, it really puts the capital T on tacky.

Basically if you are going bankrupt throwing a wedding when what you really want is a fancy vacation, maybe you should look into a much simpler wedding, and put your money towards your priority.
  • Options
    The only thing lamer than honeymoon registries is putting your registry info on your invite.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I like the idea of just the insert card regarding "more on our upcoming wedding can be found at our website"... which we already have one.  Also, we ARE registered on a honeymoon website for excursions, spas, etc...  NOT JUST CASH.  Some of you seem impolitely harsh on here, and I don't appreciate it.  Please be kind when threading.  I do appreciate those of you who were kind, and offered sensible advice.  
  • Options
    I'm not being harsh but a registry of any kind shouldn't be mentioned on an invitation. A rule is to not look like you're asking for gifts. You can refer people to your website where that info can be listed or through word of mouth
  • Options
    Thanks to all.   We have decided not to include the registry information with the invitation, and to hope that word of mouth will work!
  • Options
    :headdesk:

Look, do the HM registry if you like, but own it: you are registering for cash. All of the HM registries I've heard of on here give your guest the option to buy you "things" like swimming with dolphins, but you just get a check for the amount that swimming with dolphins would cost rather than a gift certificate to the dolphin swim company. Ergo, you are registering for cash, and what's more, you're lying about it by saying that people are giving you something else when they're really just depositing into an account.
  • Options

Since you only have a few posts I will assume you are new and tell you that HM registries are a big no no on the knot. Likewise, nobody will give you the go ahead to put registry info on your invitation. Rather than registering at the hotel, I would tell mom, maids, people who will disseminate the info, that you would rather have guests give money than gifts. Then you can use the money on your honeymoon without looking grabby. Also, get a wedpage and put your registry info on it. Then place your wedpage on your STDs. This way people can find out without you looking bad. Hope it all goes well for ya.

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks so much graysquirrel... good advice.  Yes, I'm new on here.  I actually didnt realize that on the HM registries, the guests are not really buying that actual gift for you.  I guess it's all just one big cash account.  That bit of information actually changed my mind on using the registry because it is pretty deceiving to the guest making the purchase.  I think I'll just do it the old fashioned way, and just let people give what they want to.  If they ask my family, bridesmaids or close friends, they will know to tell them we prefer cash.  if not, I could use a new coffee pot!  lol  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards