Registry and Gift Forum
Options

are gifts always opened at bridal showers?

My fiance and I live in Houston, but our relatives are all in the Northeast. My bridal shower is in Massachusetts, but I was hoping people could buy gifts off the stores' websites and have them shipped to Houston. Is this asking too much? Will it ruin the flow of the shower not to open gifts? Please be honest - worst case scenario, i will re-wrap everything and ship it to Houston after the shower.
thanks!

Re: are gifts always opened at bridal showers?

• Options
    No gift opening=tacky shower.  The point is to "shower" the bride with gifts, not ship them so she can open them later.  The only reason I go to showers is to see the bride open gifts.  I don't really care about anything else (or anyone else's gifts, either).

Plan some way to get them home to Houston after the shower.
  • Options
    Yeah, there's really nothing to a shower without gifts.  People like being able to see the bride open their gift.  That's kind of the whole point.

My shower is going to be about 8 hours away from where we live.  I'm flying Southwest, so I can check two suitcases full of stuff to take home, and any large items I will return for store credit after the shower in Chicago and re-buy at home in Kansas City.  We got a large crock pot and toaster oven off our registry for Christmas and did this and it worked like a charm.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Yup, that's the point, and asking people to ship their gifts would be pretty presumptuous. 

What you can do is take all the gift back the day after the shower for store credit, then when you get home, go re-purchase everything. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions and for helping me avoid tackyland!
  • Options
    I personally would love to go to a shower and not have to watch someone open presents for an hour. I think you should do whatever you want to do. I would spread the word by word of mouth or through whoever the guests are RSVPing to that traveling back home with gifts will be difficult. Your family and friends love you and will understand.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_gifts-always-opened-bridal-showers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:93f0176b-618d-48df-b572-b803fc990b07Post:fe26a470-2117-4482-9964-c3c8fc4f7a00">Re: are gifts always opened at bridal showers?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I personally would love to go to a shower and not have to watch someone open presents for an hour. I think you should do whatever you want to do. I would spread the word by word of mouth or through whoever the guests are RSVPing to that traveling back home with gifts will be difficult. Your family and friends love you and will understand.
    Posted by dvohnout[/QUOTE]

Don't do this.  The whole point of a shower is to shower the bride with gifts.  if anyone doesn't care to attend, they should just decline the invitation.  If there are not gifts, it's just a party, not a shower.
  • Options
    Actually, while friends and family love you, it's not OK to ask them to go outside of what is considered to be appropriate.  And well, just because I love someone does not mean that I think everything that loved one does is fantastic.  With that logic, it must mean that I have zero issue with my father's socially awful jokes.

That said, there are ways around this like returning the gifts to the BB&B in Mass and then re-buying them in Houston.  And with flat rate mailing with the Post Office, you can now ship the remainder of the gifts most likely at a very low flat rate.  The rest can be shipped via USPS or UPS at a rather low cost. 
  • Options
    yes. the point is to watch the bride open gifts.

also, I see your username is your email. might want to change that, it's not safe to have your email splashed all over the place.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    i never heard of the "return it all the next day and re-buy when you're at home" thing.  that seems really weird to me.

i'm running into this same problem.  my fiance and i live in DC and my future mother-in-law wants to host a shower in Wisconsin (where my fiance is from).  my mother-in-law suggested that guests ship the gifts to us (especially considering that most store offer free shipping now) and then wrap a picture of the present for me to open at the shower.  i feel like this is a strange idea too - and that it would be incredibly boring for guests.  although i do agree with dvohnout - it would be great to go to a shower and not sit for hours while someone opens up gifts that everyone in attendance has already seen (everyone shopped off the same registry...)

we're still trying to figure out a good solution.  maybe the shipping of the gifts, and calling the shower a "pre-wedding party" or something.  i have no need for all the gifts, but my mother-in-law won't really take 'no' for an answer.  being untraditional is not easy!
  • Options
    Here's the thing:  no matter what you do, it shouldn't require the guest to incur any additional expense.

So if the gifts need to get shipped to you, that's for you or the host to do.  It's not for the guest to do.

Gift opening shouldn't take "hours".  If it's that long, you either open slowly or your shower is too big.
  • Options
    I recently went to a similar shower. The shower was on the east coast, the bride now lives on the west coast.  Most of the guests were very thoughtful, purchased gift cards or gifts from her registry to be shipped to her home after the shower and brought pictures of them, which they wrapped in boxes. Some of the pictures were hand drawn and quite amusing : ) The Bride was very charming and fussed over the pictures.  Could the  BMs suggest this to guests who ask? The bride chose registries that charge the same flat rate for shipping whether the gift was sent here or to her home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards