Registry and Gift Forum

if i don't have a shower do i still need to register?

here's the breakdown.  FI and i are havinga destination wedding and only inviting about 80 people.  we're not going to have a shower (against FMIL's wishes).  we are, however, going to do an at-home reception a month or two after the wedding (to keep FMIL some what happy). 

do i need to register for gifts if i'm not having a shower?  i don't want/expect any gifts.  but if people want to give sometihng and there is no registry, i don't want them to think we didn't register because we're just looking for money (does that make sense?).

any adivce?

Re: if i don't have a shower do i still need to register?

• I would make a registry. You never know what people will pick out on thier own for you.
  • Lo411Lo411 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    My suggestion is that if you don't want/expect gifts then don't register anywhere. If you did not specify a store for your registry then I personally would NOT assume you wanted me to give you money.
  • You do not need to have a registry. Especially if there's nothing you particularly want. but some people REALLY like to give physical gifts and like direction. So either do a small one or be prepared to say, "Oh, we love dogs." Or, "Well, we're remodeling our bathroom. The colors we're using are black and white."
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • You should create at least 1 registry.  people expect it and they want to know what you want/need. better that they spend their money on something useful than wasteful. most people want to do something nice for you, so this way you give them the option to make it easy for them. it doesn't have to be big.
  • I'd create at least one registry, some people don't feel comfortable giving cash as wedding gifts. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lo411Lo411 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_dont-shower-still-need-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:a0a071f2-cf64-493b-bd5e-a1e453745904Post:d49110c1-6f8c-48f4-bf41-23a559b42ed6">Re: if i don't have a shower do i still need to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd create at least one registry, some people don't feel comfortable giving cash as wedding gifts. 
    Posted by Galaxy8227[/QUOTE]

That's the point, she doesn't want ppl to assume she wants money so in other words she doesn't want money for a gift, neither does she want to create a registry. I say don't create a registry at all if you don't want to but if you feel the need to ask your mom, sisters, aunts, close friends what they think ya'll need since you can't think of anything and just put some mess on your registry. It won't bother you if nobody gets anything cause you don't want anything.

If ppl don't feel comfortable giving money then she's accomplished her purpose cause she doesn't want money! AWESOME!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards