Registry and Gift Forum
Options

we are moving right after the wedding, so registry?!!?!

So, my fiance & I currently live together  in Chicago, but he was just offered an amazing position in Colorado and I told him to take it.  However, I am currently interning to finish up grad school and cannot move until after the wedding (July 2011).  I am unsure what to do regarding a registry because I do not want to have to pack anymore than we already have or have to spend a ton of money to ship the gifts.  Also, I do not want gifts at the wedding since I will be moving two days after and do not want to have to worry about anything else at that point; I would rather have just cards.  I was thinking for the shower to do a registry and either just register for smaller types of gifts and/or if we put big gifts on there request to have them shipped to the Colorado address.  I originally didn't want to do a registry at all & just get gift cards or money, but my mom said she thought that was rude.  However, my mom can be very traditional and opinionated so I wanted to get others thoughts!

330image Invited
0image Accepted
0image Declined
330image Waiting

Re: we are moving right after the wedding, so registry?!!?!

• Options
    I think it's your choice if you want to have a registry or not, the rude part would be asking your guests for cash in lieu of gifts.

What you can do is include an "at home" card in with your invitations with the date you will be moving, how you will both be addressed (if you're taking his name or not) and your future address.

hth!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_moving-right-after-wedding-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a4e1497c-6ca6-4bd3-af20-8efd297bcbccPost:2d7a262e-16eb-480d-9367-ad04190f16a6">Re: we are moving right after the wedding, so registry?!!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not having a registry is not rude.  <strong>However, it would be tacky to have a shower without a registry. </strong>  You can't ask people to ship shower gifts, but you can do one large shipment right after the shower, or you can return most of it for store credit and repurchase locally in the new location right after, if you are registering with a large chain store.   As far as the wedding, most people will ship physical gifts, and if you keep the registry small or don't do one, most people will give cards/cash instead.  People know shipping is a pain.  If they know you are moving, they probably won't give physical gifts.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]
    I agree with the rest of your post, but why is that tacky? It just means that people will have to guess as what you need - possibly difficult for the guests, but I don't see how that's tacky.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_moving-right-after-wedding-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a4e1497c-6ca6-4bd3-af20-8efd297bcbccPost:0531dbf4-bd6b-4ac0-86da-1fbe558cbbe5">Re: we are moving right after the wedding, so registry?!!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: we are moving right after the wedding, so registry?!!?! : I agree with the rest of your post, but why is that tacky? It just means that people will have to guess as what you need - possibly difficult for the guests, but I don't see how that's tacky.
    Posted by kathrynhabibti[/QUOTE]

<div>It implies that you are having a cash/green back shower, that's why it's tacky.  </div>
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2010
    Meh, either way.

It's what I've always heard/read on the topic.  Not registering is hinting that you want cash, so doesn't it follow?
  • Options
    "You can't ask people to ship shower gifts, but you can do one large shipment right after the shower, or you can return most of it for store credit and repurchase locally in the new location right after, if you are registering with a large chain store."

Not true!  I had a shower in my home state and on the invites there was polite wording that basically said "If you would like to purchase a gift from the registry, the couple would prefer the items to be shipped to their home in Miami."  Everyone understood that flying back with a bunch of gifts (hello, China! Glass!) was not practical and so everything was shipped to my house, or the guests gave a gift card.  Nobody seemed offended at all, and it worked out perfect that I didn't have to fly with/ship a bunch of gifts! 

• Options
    I live in CO but am from MA. Getting gifts back from the shower was a pain in the wazoo. I planned to return and rebuy but with sales etc. you may not enough cash to rebuy. My folks ended up shipping the gifts for me but it was crazy-expensive. However, they did not look into options like freight.

But also, kudos to you for making a really hard decision about living apart. My fiance and I lived in FL and MA for the first two and a half years of our relationship and while it was hard, we were able to really effectively communicate by the end of it!
  • Options
    Just have everything shipped to CO and have the CO address on the registry.  If gifts should arrive at the wedding say thank you and either have someone store them for you until you can pick them up or just take them back to the store.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards