Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Missing Gift - Part Two

On the topic of missing gifts, a handful of my husband's single male friends came to the wedding and did not give a gift at all!  I'm not concerned with the actual missing gifts, as I don't think they have ever even heard of a wedding registry,  but I feel that not even getting us a card is not only ignorant, but fairly rude.  I'm not about to ask my husband to say anything to them, because I feel it would be even more rude to point out their rudeness.  However, when I see them, I can't help but feel a slight tinge of animosity.  Any advice?

Re: Missing Gift - Part Two

• Options

Getting a card and/or gift is not something that usually registers with single guys.  They usually need a woman to take the lead on that.  It's not worth getting all bent out of shape about.  The fact that they took time out of their day to come and celenrate you should be a gift in and of itself.  Is it disappointing- yes, but it's a fact of life that you just have to get over.

• Options
    Any advice?

Get over it?  Nobody is obligated to give you a gift.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    You shouldn't expect a gift.

You should be surprised,honored, and thankful if you happen to recieve a gift. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

You seem to be under the impression that people are required to give a gift. They are not. Perhaps their gift was their attendance at the wedding. A lot of single men would rather do other things with their spare time than go to a wedding.

Agree with others, get over it! 

• Options
    Yeah, I think I'll be grateful if FI's friends show up, stay reasonably sober and don't tell any embarrassing/awkward stories about us (yes, there are a few of those) or try to make out with any of our friends and relatives.
    "Plus who needs a purse when you have a wedding dress? Those things are like walking hobo bags just waiting to be stuffed with surprise treasures." -Wedinator.com image
  • Options
    Point taken!  Sometimes it takes the advice of some honest strangers to set one straight.  Thanks!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_missing-gift-part-two?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:a72bc6eb-e942-4050-8159-868b8b8fc6c3Post:4a735b44-941e-475f-8ade-f395db2fde16">Re: Missing Gift - Part Two</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I think I'll be grateful if FI's friends show up, stay reasonably sober and don't tell any embarrassing/awkward stories about us (yes, there are a few of those) or try to make out with any of our friends and relatives.
    Posted by slubkin[/QUOTE]

THIS is how I feel!  LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it is incredibly rude to go to a wedding and not give a gift. I can't imagine anyone (except a child or mentally disabled person) thinking it was ok they show up to a wedding empty handed. It's weird and disrespectful. 
  • Options
    It's rude not to get the couple a gift yes, but it's whatever. They didn't get you one but you'll pretty much ruin any chance of a friendship with them if you call them out on it. Men just don't understand if there isn't a woman with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards