Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

I broke down crying =(

So today was my very first day acutally trying  on tons of different wedding gowns. I went t the following stores.  As Im browsing the racks I am learning that I am a size 16 and all of the dresses that I like the sample models range from 8-12 so Obviously I can’t try them on.  It really bothered me . I fell in love with so many dresses but at the same time I am angry because I WANT  to try on my special gown to see how it looks on me. If it looks good on my curvy hourglass figure. The ladies were like, try on a size 12 it should fit we just wont be able to close them. Then the problems start. I can’t even get some of these gowns over my bottom.  I even got one dress stuck and I started freaking out because I could not get it off.  the ladies were super sweet however the main dresses they carry range from size 8-12 in there sample gowns. I am a size 16. I am very athletic I am just built with a body like “ kim kardashian “  I have a tiny waiste large breast and a big round bubble butt. I  got very depressed today because there are so many options out there I just can’t try any of them on.  I don’t want to buy a gown I cant try on.  The only place that had my size was davids bridal and Im not 100% super crazy about any dresses I saw there. Places I looked at today were  1.       Lasting Bridal Couture – Super sweet girls nice beautiful selection but no gowns my size at all. They can order them my size but all the sample gowns were gain 8-12.2.       Circle Park Bridal – They did carry larger gowns which were way to big for me but non of them were the style or idea that I liked.  They had nothing in a size 16 and again said they could order any gown I wanted. I didn’t try anything on in this store since we knew nothing would fit. They girls were super nice and sweet but just didn’t have any luck with size but did found several amazing gowns I liked.3.       Denton Bridal co. -  they did have one gown I loved which is the Maggie Sorett “ Ambrosia “ gown but I wanted to keep looking and didn’t want to settle. 4.       Mocking Bird Bridal – did not like this place, they lady they assigned to help me was very standoffish and acted like It was a chore t help me find a dress. Nothing fit in what I wanted. She brought me what she had in my size but they were not what I was looking for. 5.       Davids Bridal – I FOUND one mermaid gown that everyone loved on me but I am terrifed that it’s a little too sexy because it really does show off my bottom  and chest.  So althouh everyone loves it I still feel the need to keep looking.  I haven’t had hardly any luck finding dresses for myself.  Has any other curvy girls have this problem? What do you do when no stores  carry a dress you can’t get on? I don’t mind if the dress was to big, atleast they could clip it on me and I Could get an idea, but holding it up infront f me isn’t helping.  Are the better places to look?Has anyone just bought the dress online and just hoped for the best? It seems really risky. What if you ordered a gown, got it, tried it on and hated it? Aren’t you stuck with it at that point?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I broke down crying =(

• BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Alfred Angelo - I'm also about a size 16, and I was able to try on all the samples there. I also bought my dress there, and ended up ordering a size 16, which I was very surprised at. They have a wide range of styles and prices. 

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience! I was really stressed about dress shopping, too, but I had a great experience at Alfred Angelo.
  • edited December 2011
    I totally understand where you're coming from. However, i only went to two different places. The first place was a small shop in colleyville. The dress i really liked would not zip completely up but i was able to see the basic look of the dress. I later went to David's bridal not thinking too much of it and fell in LOVE with a sample dress. It was size 4 (NO WAY!) but i was able to put it on there was just no way i was going to be able to zip it up! Anyways just being able to see it and the way it fell on me i knew it was the right one! Once you order theres no turning back. Just keep looking and trying. Even though the "sample" sizes don't fit, you will know when it's the one!! I dont think you will love something, order it and then not like it!! Keep looking and trying!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Try Terry Costa!
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • dianaslikdianaslik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister is about a 16 and I'm a 12/14 - (she got married last year) -
    She had luck at Alfred Angelo, and I got my dress at David's (yup, a "sexier" look - pic in bio)... For both of us shopping, many of the dresses just had to be partially zipped then "clipped" in place to get an idea of the look... Despite that, we were both able to find dresses we loved that were not our sizes in store.
    I say keep trying!  And embrace your curves :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm usually a 12 and noticed that in Pence and Panache in Burleson, most of the dresses were too small. Barely going over my butt when I stepped in them, but they all made it over my badonk. But usually the back was completely open and they put one of those fabric panels there to give you a visual. It helped but was a little disheartening because the fabric still falls on you differently. They also had a selection of larger dresses, but I did not look through them to see the styles. At Classy Concepts in Mansfield, they all fit or had to be clipped, so I felt more comfortable. I bet they have dresses there that you can put on and get better visuals!

Embrace your curves! Just remember, when you find the dress- you will look amazing!!
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • edited December 2011
    I hated the fact that street clothes sizes don't seem to apply to wedding dresses. If you just want to try stuff on that will fit to get an idea of what kind of dress would like, I would suggest going to Anonymously Yours.It is a consignment shop with a wide range of styles and sizes. Most of the dresses I saw are new with the tags still on them. I went to a lot of places and I felt that they were really helpful. (Didn't hurt I went in the middle of the week.)
  • edited December 2011
    Diana - hard to believe that is a sz 16. Now I'm scared, I'm normally a street 6, what does that make me in bridal?! Geez. You think they wouldn't want to make women feel even worse about their bodies than we already do.

I would try Alfred Angelo & Terry Costa too, and I would also call stores before going to find out what sizes they carry. Have you tried Lulus, Bridal Boutique in Lewisville or Bridal Bliss? I personally have not been there, just ones I've seen on the boards

ETA:. Sorry Diana, I totally misread your post. Either way, you look FAB in the dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dianaslikdianaslik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

@tam: LOL!  Yeah, no, I'm closer to a 12 these days (thank you, Army).

Seriously, someone should open a bridal store where the sizes were intentionally off - (ex: actual size 14, numbered as size 12, etc)
    They would make a fortune! :)
    SO wrong that wedding dresses "run small"

• edited December 2011
    A lot of the other girls have great suggestions.  You can also try Demetrios out in Frisco.  It could depend on what styles you're looking at, but also at a size 16 I was able to try on a set of samples (though none fit - they did the panels thing for me) and found the one that I wanted based on that.  I only went there and DB.  Even though I wasn't wild about any of the DB dresses, it did help me get a sense of what I wanted and what cuts/styles would look good on me.  So hopefully that's at least a starting point for you.  Good luck!  I know how it feels!
  • edited December 2011
    I went to Elizabeth's Bridal today in Hurst and it seemed as though they had many sizes to try on!
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • teedoveteedove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know the feelings ladies, I am a 8 but my wedding dress is a size 10.@ dianaslik, I love that dress mine is also a Galina Signature,but I bought mine off craigslist for 4 $100. I would say go to Penelope Bridal. It's a consignment shop.  You can also shop craigslist some of the ladies will let you try on the dress. I have attached some pics of the dress. I will post all new pictures once the dress is back from the seamstress.
    GL, and don't give up keep looking.

Mrs. Jones= again Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards