Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Place Settings?

How many place settings did you register for, for both your everday dishes and fine china (if you registered for china)?

Re: Place Settings?

• Options
    we only registered for everyday dishes, so 12 settings. but if your everyday dishes and fine china are really different, you could register for 2 sets of place settings- one nice and one more casual. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    We also registered for 12 places of everyday dishes. We chose not to register for fine china. 

I agree on registering for placemats, napkins and tablecloths. The person at BBB helped create a really beautiful place setting with our dishes and placemats, napkins and napkin rings. 

As far as silverware goes, if you don't want to register for sterling silver due to the price, register for 18/10 stainless steel. The 10 stand for 10% nickel, which is what protects the flatware from corroding. So 18/10 would be the most durable and have a shiner finish.
  • Options
    I would do 12 place settings of fine china and 8 or 12 for casual or "every day" dishware.  Don't forget both good and casual flatware.  Most people don't register for sterling silver anymore but there are still different levels of flatware.

Also register serving bowls, platters, etc.

You may want to register for fine crystal (service for 12 in various various sizes such as goblet, water, iced tea, et.  Many crystal patterns also offer serving pieces such as platters. I would register for everyday drinkware (I would request service for 12 because you will use them much more often and tend to break more).

If you are really in to holidays and/or have fine and everyday dishes already you might consider registering a holiday pattern. Lenox, Spode, and Pfaltzgraff carry them and possibly others also.

Unlike a lot of people, we use our good stuff at least several times a month - for us and when we have guets. We like to use it, what is the point of having it if it just sits on the shelf? 

You may want to consider registering for nice tablecloths, napkins, and possibly placemats too so that you can set a really pretty table - and then use it and enjoy it as often as possible.  Don't just save it for very special occasion, use it now and don't wait.
  • Options
    We registered for 10 place settings of our every day dishes, and of course the platters, bowls, saucers, app plates, etc..

For the fine china, we registered for 12 place settings since I love to cook and entertain and will start hosting major holidays at some point. We did 12 place settings, 12 settings for water goblets and stemware, a platter, serving bowl, etc.

It all depends on your needs and plans for entertaining in the future. I looked at this way, your wedding china is going to be a gift that you'll want for always so I wanted to have 12 sets in case one breaks plus I plan on actually using it. Some say they don't need it, but I know I will. I inherited my mom's constant need to cook and entertain haha. As for the casual every day china, that'll be used all the time, if you plan on having children stuff will definitely get broken, and need to be replaced. So we registered for 2 less place settings knowing that at some point down the road we will replace the every day china, but the formal china we hope to have forever. HTH!
  • Options
    We did 12 of everyday china. We eat on it every day, but it is pretty enough to be used for holidays.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    We didn't do so much "place settings" as much as getting what we really needed.  We opted to do Fiestaware through Macy's (LOVE it).

DH and I got 16 dinner plates (so we don't have to wash dishes as often), 8 salad plates, 8 gusto bowls, 8 cereal bowls, and 8 mugs... so, escentially - 8 place settings & 8 extra plates.  It's been ideal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards