Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Quotes for the magazine

I'll use your Knot Name if your quote is used. This should be a pretty easy one for the Knotties on this board.

"What's your best registry advice?"

As usual, THANK YOU!

KA
Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!

Re: Quotes for the magazine

• Options
    I'll contribute mine.

Register for it now and get it while you can. What I mean is that if you actually want the china now, don't wait until you "have money" or until you're older to buy it. Register for these items and if your table setting is not fulfilled then use your gift cards or some wedding money to round out the service for 16 now. Chance are, you probably won't do it when you have two toddlers running around and you'll be glad that you have a "wedding set."

KA
    Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!
  • Options
    Be sure to register for things in a variety of price ranges for all of your guests.

:)
  • Options
    Write your ideas down!  There have been several moments over the past few months that I have thought of things to include but when I am standing in front of aisles full of different products I can't remember those specific items. So keep a list somewhere that you can bring with you when you are 'scanning' items so that you don't forget those things your really want!
  • Options
    Include at least one online retailer for your gift registry.  Guests who do not live locally may find it easier to order something online for delivery to your home rather than transporting your gift themselves. 
  • Options
    Start early and add often! We registered with Target - which has been so easy! We signed up online from home when we first got engaged - nearly a year before the wedding - and every time we've thought of something we should add, we just log on to the website and add it to the list. It's been great!!
  • Options
    Check the return policies before registering.

Don't register for 20 of everything to begin with.  Consider starting with 8 or 12, and if that is bought out, adding to it.  That way, you won't end up with 2 plates and 18 coffee mugs.

Consider unusual places like REI, etc. for registries - not everyone needs dishes and sheets - and not all guests want to give those.  If you're more likely to eat dinner over a camp stove than a dining room table, your guests likely know that and would love to make sure you have the latest and greatest camp stove!

Send thank you notes ASAP. 

Focus your registry on things you LOVE.  If you're "eh" about it, and get it - will you be disappointed you didn't get something else?  If so - don't add it unless the other things have been purchased.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options

Great stuff, Knotties! Thank you.

You know I'll be back.

Won't it be fun to see some of these in print?

• Options
    Register for your china at a store that actually carries china at the brick and mortar stores.  We only got 2 place settings of our china from our wedding guests.  Some people like to shop online, but a lot of people wait until the last minute, and they are only going to purchase something they can walk out of the store with. 
  • Options
    Keep an eye on your registries. This way you can replace any items that may have become discontinued or add new items if your list is getting depleted so people will still have many choices.

Be sure to register for items at lots of different price points. You may be thinking, "Oh, no one will buy us that $300 bedding set! That's too expensive." But some people do like to chip in and get group gifts so that they can get something nicer. And don't forget the lower price points. No, kitchen utencils aren't too cheap. Some people like to buy many less expensive items and make gift packs!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Go in with a plan - and go in on a quiet day!! FI and I went on a Saturday with no plan of action, and we were so overwhelmed we left and plan to go back another day! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Keep in mind that many guests will check your registry, then try to find a better deal (whether it is actually in store or online on amazon, etc)- this is especially true if they want to get you a more expensive item.  Don't freak out when your registry isn't missing many items; remember, wedding guests have been bringing gifts for years, and know what they are doing!

Register at your dream places, and put some whimsical items on there.  You may have that guest who likes to buy 'different' items for the bride and groom, and if it's something you have always wanted but didn't see as practical buying for yourself, even better!

Try not to register for seasonal or on sale items- chances are they won't be there when your guests go to buy for you.  If in doubt about an item, ask (this is why going to the actual store has its benefits!).

Check with other brides in your area about registry rewards and referral programs.  I know there are several stores in my area that have these, and I wouldn't have known (and subsequently gotten free stuff!) if I hadn't had asked my fellow Knotties!

Finally, give your guests a wide variety, especially if they are OOT.  While you may have a Crate and Barrel around you (and love it!), if you are originally from a small town that has never heard of it, your guests may feel more comfortable shopping at a store that is well-known to them.
  • Options
    Check up on youre registry often to make sure there are enough things in different price ranges.  You don't want to be a week from the wedding and only have things that are over $100 left on your registry.
  • Options
    Don't forget to register for gift cards, many registries offer that option.  Not only is it more convenient and flexible, but it also allows guests to choose nearly any amount in their budget. 
  • Options
    If you've already registered at one store, take a printout of the registry with you when you go to register at a second store.  That way, you can look and see "Oh, we already registered for that" and you won't add a second one to the registry at the store you're in.  Or you can decide to delete from your first registry if you find something you like better at the second store.
  • Options

Tell your FI that it will be over sooner if he just says "Yes" to EVERYTHING... that moved us right through Crate and Barrel!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards