Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Should I start registry online or in store?

I've started thinking about our registries and I was wondering if there was any benefit to starting our registries in the store as opposed to online? I'd like to start it online so it's all ready to go when we get to the store, but if there is a benefit to doing it in person then I'll just wait.

Re: Should I start registry online or in store?

• Options
    I would go to the store that way you can actually see and touch the item and know if you want it or not. If you find something on the website, you might not like it in person.

• Options
    Yeah we'll definitely go to the store. I was just thinking about getting the registry actually started with our names and info and stuff and perhaps an item or two that we know we definitely want.
  • Options
    We registered at BB&B and I'm very glad we waited until we were in the store to start it.  The lady was so helpful in getting things started and explaining policies.  I feel like a lot of that would ahve been skipped over if we had already started.  She was also willing to walk with us the whole way around the store and explain the differences, pros and cons in many items.  We didn't need her for a lot of things but she was very honest about the quality of many products and showing us better alternatives.  In terms of registering, signing your names up is the quickest part.
    I married my best friend on July 8, 2011
  • Options
    We started our first registry in store and added to it later online, but the other 2 registries we did entirely online.

I think I've heard that at some stores, people have had trouble going in store to add to a registry started online, so you may want to set it up in the store.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    We started all of ours online.  I used to work at BB&B so I am familiar with the policies, incentives, and product quality.  So... that helped me out immensely.  My FI and I are very independent shoppers.

However... not having this style of shopping or background in retail, most would be better starting the registry in-store.  You have a real opportunity to ask all the questions you need.  Now.... I had a few questions for my bridal registry consultant at BB&B and they were MORE than willing to help me with whatever we needed (including changing our china pattern 40 times, adding items that weren't scannable in-store or online, and helping us to choose products).  

If you know that you will have questions, it's probably best to start instore.  Most registry consultants are well-versed in setting up a registry in the computer without wasting time (i.e. they type in the names, get a registry number, set up the scanner, and go... it takes literally 5 to 10 minutes max, and they enter the rest of the info while you and your FI "shop and scan.")
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_should-start-registry-online-store?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e3268d74-48da-47b5-aaee-9630e925fe89Post:28eeb0b4-e570-4e00-8753-c9a900dd0512">Re: Should I start registry online or in store?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We started our first registry in store and added to it later online, but the other 2 registries we did entirely online.<strong> I think I've heard that at some stores, people have had trouble going in store to add to a registry started online, so you may want to set it up in the store.</strong>
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

This is what I was afraid of.

Thanks guys! I think we'll wait and just start them in the store. I'm sure I'll have questions, but I have no idea what they'll be right now. :)
  • Options
    We started ours in store because it is nice to see the quality of things you are registering for. Plus, it is so much fun!
  • Options
    I agree w/ most of the PP.  I would recommend starting out in the store mainly because you can see the colors/fabrics, but also because a lot of stuff found online is not available in the stores.  I don't think that would be a problem, unless that's the case with a lot of the stuff you are have added to your list. 

You usually get some kind of cheesy gift for registering in the store also, but it's a bonus.  I also found that FI really enjoyed "shooting" things.  I recommend double checking your registery online afterwards - FI had registered for a luggage lock (?), garmet bag that we already have 2 of, corn shaped BBQ skewers since we have NEVER done kabobs, etc.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I actually started my BB & B registry online and then we finished it up at the store. Stuff we waited to register for until we were at the store were towels, sheets, comforter. since we wanted to see/feel them in person.

We had a smaller registry at 10,000 Villages and that I did all online as there are not as many store locations around.
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    I started all 3 of my registries online and didn't have any problems when we went to the store to add items to it.  I felt it saved us time that way we didn't have to sit down with someone to go over all our personal info. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We started ours out all online but didn't get far before we ended up going to the store. It is nice to see and touch the things you might want; you might notice something you love/hate about the item that you couldn't detect online. Plus, walking around the store, you're bound to come across things you hadn't realized you might want before. Not to mention, its just a fun experience walking around together looking at things! 

In short, if you want to start out online, that's fine. Just make sure you double-check even those things you've already registered for when you go to the store to make sure its what you want.
  • Options
    I started by BBB registry online, and went into the store to add things like bedding, cookware, knives and towels.  We did walk around the store to make sure we hadn't missed anything, but we had no problems with things not working. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They tend to give you free stuff if you start it in the store.  Pretty sure I'm missing a Macy's giftcard because I started it online.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards