Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Im a little upset :( I know when my shower is :(

So.. my whole life I dreamed of being surprised for my shower.. after all it's probably one of the only times I would ever be surprised...  anyway I can't believe that I totally figured out my date for my shower :(

I am not the type of person that goes snooping around.  Someone at work (a man) came up to me a few weeks ago and said "I LOVE your invitation! Its so cute with your baby picture on it!" I wanted to kill him.  He didn't say anything else but I now knew the invites were out.... I told my fiance and after complaining he waited about 15min or so and then the dummy went on to say that ... oh by the way we have a surprise 70th bday we have to go to in June.  Mind you he never can go to parties during the day because of work.. and to make it better he told me its around 12:30 and his mom is "making him go...."  It is all too convenient..

When we booked my engagement party I know they booked my shower because it was pretty obvious.. they made me leave the room... this 70th bday is the same venue.

Anyway Im just really bummed that I know... now I have to pretend that its a surprise :(

Re: Im a little upset :( I know when my shower is :(

• Options
    Don't be so sad!  You're still having a shower!  Just think about how nice it is that all these people care about you enough to organize this event in honor of YOU.  Enjoy your shower!  You'll never have another wedding shower (unless others throw you one i guess), so make the most of it!
  • Options
    Yeah, my surprise was ruined, too, because my H's family threw a fit about the day because it was a hard time for them, which I understand, but if it had never been brought up I would never have figured it out. It was still fun because there was a theme and my sister refused to tell me, so I still had some semblance of a surprise. You'll have fun no matter what, don't worry.
  • Options
    Not everyone has a surprise shower.  And really, is it a "surprise" when you're pretty sure it's gonna happen but you just don't know when.  Suck it up and go have a good time.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    I've never heard of a surprise shower.

I'd rather know about it and be able to dress appropriately.  It's not ruined.  It's not like they are cancelling it.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_im-little-upset-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:f0253824-52b4-44bf-8360-ffc144c74390Post:edec2ae7-28b1-48a0-a4ae-f027dc1450cb">Re: Im a little upset :( I know when my shower is :(</a>:
    [QUOTE] I'd rather know about it and be able to dress appropriately.  It's not ruined.  It's not like they are cancelling it.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this! I didn't want a surprise so I'd be ready for it and wearing the dress I picked out for my shower. </div><div>
    </div><div>Relax and go enjoy your shower! You'll still have an awesome day even if the surprise was ruined :0)</div>
  • Options
    I didn't even want a shower and had to be talked into allowing it to happen, so no, it was never going to be a surprise.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    I've never heard of having a surprise shower.  My aunt talked to me about date and time before reserving anything to make sure I thought that would work well for me and the majority of those she was inviting.  I definitely wanted to be able to plan accordingly to be able to request off work, dress accordingly, etc.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think my folks wanted it to be a surprise, but I flat out asked when it was.  I don't like surprises in my schedule.  It's one of the few places I'm truly Type A - I need to know when and where things are...

June 6th, here I come!
  • Options
    Just go and enjoy. I have had two showers so far and they were both a blast! One more to go!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I totally figured mine out but I'm keeping up the rouse (sp?) because i know my friends and family love me enough to go through all the trouble, so I want them to enjoy the element of surprise and feel nice about it.  My mom and MOH know that I know, but they're not telling any guests or even the rest of the BP that I know!  It will still be fun.

Don't worry- there will be other surprises in life!
  • Options

This isn't something to be sad over.  Seriously.

You're going to have a shower.  Enjoy it!  Some brides don't get them.

• Options
    I've never heard of a surprise shower. I wouldn't want it though--I wouldn't want to show up dressed totally inappropriately.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I would really hate having a surprise shower but to each his own.... perhaps you can ask your new husband to throw you a surprise birthday party some year.  
  • Options
    I had 3 showers and not one of them were a suprise. I loved it this way, as I could dress appropirately and be mentally prepared for being the guest of honor. Try to forget your disappointment and focus on all of the love and generosity that your guests will provide. I felt truly overwhelmed at all 3 showers by how generous and loving people were.
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be funny if eveyone's faking you out and the shower is next weekend?

My sisters are doing a shower for me, I had to stop them with the surprise idea - my calendar is pretty full and continues to fill with work obligations, so if they want me to be there, I needed to be in on choosing the date.

At least you'll be surprised at what they're planning to do during the shower!  Enjoy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Both of my showers were planned after asking me about dates... I would not like a surprise shower...be happy they are throwing you onw and enjoy it!
    "It is never to late to become what you might have been..."
  • Options
    I think a surprise shower is a terrible idea.  If I don't already have something planned, the chances of me being out of my jammies are slim to none. 

Not to be an a-hole...who cares if it's a surprise or not.  The outcome is still the same, you get a bunch of gifts...how is that EVER something to be disappointed about?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_im-little-upset-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:f0253824-52b4-44bf-8360-ffc144c74390Post:8e908a00-a65f-4361-829b-887ab5d14a6c">Re: Im a little upset :( I know when my shower is :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's hard to feel sympathy over a surprise shower being ruined.  It's hard to imagine someone dreaming their whole life of a surprise shower.  There are lots of people who aren't having a shower at all.  Buck up.  Enjoy your shower.  There will be plenty of other times to be surprised in life.
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

Yeah, um, I'm not having a shower. But I don't really want one, so I'm having trouble empathizing, here.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_im-little-upset-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:f0253824-52b4-44bf-8360-ffc144c74390Post:97084b36-ad2d-402b-9712-f6a35d7cb75a">Re: Im a little upset :( I know when my shower is :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto bbyckes.  Dreaming about your shower being a surprise your whole life isn't normal behavior.  I had no idea people did surprise showers in real life.  Surprise showers are terribly inconvenient.  How do you keep the bride from accidentally making plans for the day of the shower if you don't tell her when it is?
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this.</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Maybe you shouldn't think so hard next time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards