Registry and Gift Forum

Odd gift situation...

So my boss, with whom I am not friendly (quite the opposite, in fact), has been hounding me about what gift I want from her for the wedding.  She's not invited and I've been clear about stating that it's a small, family wedding (the truth), so I evaded her for a while and thought she forgot about it.  I want to be gracious about the whole thing, but it has put me in a very odd position as I think she may invite herself and show up at the wedding.

Then, two days ago she calls me into her office and tells me to send her a link to exactly which item I want from her between $100 and $120 dollars,   I stated again that we're having a small, family wedding, but I appreciate the thought. She didn't acknowledge my statement and told me to let her know about the gift by the end of the day.  I didn't email her about it yet and I know I'll have to do something about it on Monday morning.

I guess I'm looking for some feedback here.  What do you think of this odd situation?  What would you do if you were in my shoes?  

Re: Odd gift situation...

• That's weird that she is being so insistent about getting you a gift.  I have to imagine that she's caught onto the fact by now that she's not invited.  You aren't required to invite someone just because they give you a gift.  At this point, I would just point her in the direction of your registries and let her get you a present.
  • Just had another thought.  Is it possible that she is organizing some kind of surprise office shower?  She could be looking for a gift to get as a group present with other co-workers. 
  • I would have thought that's weird too, but an office gift is a good explanation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would just say, "We're registered at [store], but again, you really don't have to get me anything!"
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I know of another coworker putting a Jack & Jill shower together for the office, but I'm honestly not sure if my boss is capable of doing so (no social intelligence).  Could be an office gift, that might explain things.  I did pass along registry information, but she insisted on a specific gift which was the most off-putting part of this situation.  Oh well, I'll just keep doing what I've done and if need be I'll be blunt and tell her she's not invited (in a less blunt way).  Thanks guys!
  • A surprise office shower could be the answer.  I would just show her your registry and let her pick out what to get you. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i would just pick something. usually co-workers will want to get you something even if they are not invited, especially when it is a small family wedding just to let you know they care about you and are happy about your wedding! you do spend a large portion of your time with these people. I would just say that "you don't expect a gift, and you appreciate the thought, but if she is going to insist, you and your fiance love whatever-item!"
  • I'm sure she knows she isn't invited. People buy gifts to weddings they aren't invited to. If she asks again, tell her, "Well, I'm registered at BB&B, and there's a coffeemaker, a crockpot, a comforter, and a toaster oven we really love. Any of those would be wonderful."
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I would just send her the links to your registry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards