Registry and Gift Forum

Long Distance Wedding and Gifts

My FI and I have lived together for 5 years in California, but we are getting in married this November in Michigan to be near family. Like many other knotties, we really do not need anything that could be given to us from traditional registeries like Macy's, Target, Crate and Barel and so on. However, many of the invited guests are older family members who are traditional and will definitely want to bring a gift to the wedding. I just do not know how to plan for getting any gifts we may receive back to California short of packing them into our luggage and hoping we're not overweight on them.

I also don't know if I should register at the above mentioned stores for my guests' convenience and perhaps request that gifts be shipped? And as we have not even begun to plan our honeymoon, we don't feel real comfortable asking people for donations toward it online, especially because many family members are not internet savvy and still dont trust "that internet." Smile

I don't want to stress about it, but I just wondered how others have handled similar situations.

Re: Long Distance Wedding and Gifts

• If there really isn't anything you want then you don't have to register.  But people who want to give you gifts still will and you will still have to figure out how to deal with them.  You can put on your website or have your family spread by word of mouth that you would prefer things be shipped to your home, but if it is common in your family to bring gifts to the actual wedding, that will probably still happen.  If you can't pack them in your luggage, then just ship them to yourselves.
    Married 10/2/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards