Wedding Woes
Options

previous divorce not finalized

Been together with my fiance for 4 years, living together for 3. Engaged about a month. In the planning of our Sept. 2010 wedding, discovered that we would need a copy of his divorce decree from 1994 divorce. He didn't have a copy, and a quick call to the court clerk's office gave us a major bombshell...it was never finalized. Working furiously to refile right now, and it will take at least 6 months to do so (thanks California). Needless to say, after the initial shock of the discovery, I am now freaking out about the timing and crossing fingers, toes, etc. to make sure that we get that magical piece of paper in six months. Apparently this is not uncommon either, it happened to a lawyer friend of ours who is the one refiling for us, and he says about 20% of California divorces never get finalized due to an error either on the part of the court or the couple.

Re: previous divorce not finalized

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Do not book anything until you get this finalized. You will have a real nightmare on your hands if you have a bunch of vendors booked and have to postpone to wait for the decree to come through.
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to say as well that if you haven't made deposits yet, don't.  Just do what you can to get this over and done with as soon as possible so you two can THEN begin the planning process.
  • Options
    duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do not continue planning this wedding (or start, if you haven't) until it is finalized.  They say six months but it could take longer. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And here I am to reiterate: DO NOT BOOK ANYTHING UNTIL ITS FINALIZED. Good luck though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards