Wedding Woes
Options

How are we supposed to do this?

I don't know how we are supposed to do all this.  Planning a wedding with the help of fiance that doesn't have an opinion until he notices its something that he doesn't like or the help of friends and family that either don't have an opinion or have too strong an opinion.  I've had wedding related meetings 3-4 nights a week after work for the last 5 weeks and still have more to come.  All while trying to get into shape.  And my fiance, god love him, is also trying to get into shape or at least keep his girlish figure by cutting back to 1 piece of chocolate a day.  I just don't know how someone is supposed to maintain their life and relationships with friends and family while working full time, planning a wedding, and trying to get into shape.  Oh, and trying not to kill your fiance when he says something stupid like he feels overwhelmed with his life. And all this with the holidays just around the corner too. Sorry I just needed a place to rant.Anyone else feeling the stress?

Re: How are we supposed to do this?

• Options
    BackpackersBackpackers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You shouldn't have to do it by yourself. And this is partially why The Knot exists!! :) Post some of your stuff and ask for peoples' opinions if you want. They are typically very helpful, I find. Have you tried talking to your fiance about how this is his wedding, too, and it would help if he had some kind of opinion?Or, you could think about like - if he doesn't have an opinion on something and you really like it, then go for it! Less arguments to have!But, I think everyone feels the stress at some point in the planning process. I hope your planning gets less stressful. You should be enjoying it! Feel free to email me if you need an opinion or help with something, if you think it would help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Take a deep breath. Attack one project at a time. Why do you need so many meetings? Wedding planning is only as intense as you make it. If you really can't handle it, either hire a planner or cut back. Say: November is for finding a venue. Through November, we will research venues, pick the best three, go visit them, and book one. Done. Then in December, we will choose a photographer. Etc. Use the checklist on here to make sure you are on track. Unless you are trying to plan a wedding in a month, you shouldn't be this stressed. With your FI, you need to figure out how the two of you work together. Planning a wedding is nothing compared to the other things you'll have to accomplish together during your marriage. This should be a joint responsibility, and you need to figure out how to divide up projects and do projects together. As for your friends, don't talk about your wedding to them. You don't need that many opinions, and you're going to burn your friends out fast. When people ask, say "oh, things are coming along. How's your mom?" You'll save so many headaches that way. Bring your wedding talk here.
  • Options
    sduncans09sduncans09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our venue was all inclusive - wedding and reception in same place - included flowers + decor, food, booze, day-of coordinator ...... having a place that did a lot of that for us was really a big help since we did all the planning ourselves.  And by "we" I mean mostly me, and even with all those things included it was still a lot to do.  Check out some places that are all inclusive and do the math vs. one where you have to do all the individual parts yourself.  Ours came out about even, and was a lot less stress!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I know how you feel.  I work full time and I'm a full time grad student.  I've lost 44 pounds, and I still have more to go.  On top of that I've been working overtime to open my new library, negotiate with the employees' union, and coordinate about 2,000 people to ceremonially pass books on opening day.  Then my FI pops the question (finally!) so I've added wedding planning to my rotation.My FI said "plan whatever you want.  I trust you to remain reasonable and stick to a budget." When I asked him for his opinion on the wedding stuff, he gave a flippant answer or said "I'm not impressed."  But then all of a sudden he's got an opinon about everything - and the opinion keeps changing!  ARGH!  I just need to pin him down, but it's hard when he keeps changing his mind.I give him 2 choices that I'm happy with, he needs to stop flip flopping.I know it's all part of the relationship/life living cycle, but still...  I think I'll be calmer next week once we've settled into the library.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards