Second Weddings

Ideas for "family/unity" ceremony other than sand or candles?

I did sand the first time around and would rather do something different... not sure whether to include the chidren or not. ... but any other "unity ceremony" ideas either way?
TIA! :)

Re: Ideas for "family/unity" ceremony other than sand or candles?

• edited May 2012
    At my first wedding we included a vows ceremony with my stepdaughter who was 5 at the time.  During that part of the ceremony I presented her with a necklace.  If you search stepchild vows you will find lots of options.  You can present them with a token or show a framed picture of you as a family (because getting married means you are all now officially family.)  I used a necklace because I wanted her to have something nice that she could wear when she grew up to remind her that I loved her and that marrying her dad was also taking her on as my child.

I suggest making the children a part of the ceremony in some way because it helps with family unity.  I felt really left out when my dad eloped with my stepmother and left me out of the whole thing.
  • thanks, I will do a search for vows..... the necklace sounds like a nice idea for my daughter.... she is 5 ....... more unsure as to how to include FI's 2 sons, who are older (17 and 19).... hmm :) thanks!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_ideas-for-familyunity-ceremony-other-than-sand-or-candles?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:32776445-79a3-4a4f-b1de-20a3e2cf66aaPost:58e7f388-8688-48e2-beb7-0fe4ee4742b7">Re: Ideas for "family/unity" ceremony other than sand or candles?</a>:
    [QUOTE]At my first wedding we included a vows ceremony with my stepdaughter who was 5 at the time.  During that part of the ceremony I presented her with a necklace.  If you search stepchild vows you will find lots of options.  You can present them with a token or show a framed picture of you as a family (because getting married means you are all now officially family.)  I used a necklace because I wanted her to have something nice that she could wear when she grew up to remind her that I loved her and that marrying her dad was also taking her on as my child. I suggest making the children a part of the ceremony in some way because it helps with family unity.  I felt really left out when my dad eloped with my stepmother and left me out of the whole thing.
    Posted by BeachBride1216[/QUOTE]
  • Since your FI's sons are young men, why not ask them if they want to do something in the ceremony?  If they decline, they can still be guests.  They are old enough to decide if they want to participate or not.

When H and I got married, we did a family day out together, before the wedding, to celebrate our becoming a family privately.  My sons and his daughter were in the WP as well. 
    Anniversary
  • well his sons are going to be his "Best Men" and my daughter is my maid of honor... including them this way is enough... just thinking of various ideas out there....... =)
  • There are 80 responses to the 2 sticky posts at the top of the board addressing this issue.  Including those where many of us tell you its not a good idea.
  • The marriage, and hence the wedding ceremony itself, is between the two consenting adults.  NFT. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards