Moms and Maids
Options

Need a last minute MOG dress!

Long story short-My MIL's dress fell through for her son's wedding. 
She needs a red or green (cranberry, burgundy, emerald) dress for the wedding Nov. 13. 
She is a size 20 so can't really find one off the rack. It needs to be floor length and have long or 3/4 sleeves. Chiffon or lace sleeves are fine, a jacket as a last resort. She likes bling!

Can anyone recommend a website that can get a dress to her FAST?
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Need a last minute MOG dress!

• Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why does her dress have to be a particular colour?
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    bellaxanthebellaxanthe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL bought one at JC Penney's not long ago in that size (approx.) and in a deep purple. You might check that out.  Floor length with a lace jacket sort of thing.
    photo c603d655-594e-44b6-a311-72f04e7a561b_zpscca2447c.jpg My Little Sweetheart Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Macy's, Dillards, Von Maur, Nordstrom are all good places to try. I am a bit confused why it has to be that color as well. Is that your request or hers?
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are plenty of places to get that size off the rack.  Just start going in stores and looking - because having 6 weeks to find something is NOT last minute.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The color is the bride's request-after her mother and grandmothers have already selected their dresses and colors. These colors will look best with their dresses and the wedding colors. The colors are all rich/jewel tones, so a light color would stand out a bit too much.
    MIL has (supposedly!) been to all acceptable stores in her area (including DB). I think she is being too specific-she wants an evening-gown type, not a suit type. I'm sure she could find something off the rack to wear if the wedding took place tomorrow, but she has an idea of what she wants to wear. She keeps finding a "perfect" dress but can't get it here in time. :) So I told her I'd ask-maybe there was some great web site we weren't aware of.Thanks for the advice!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_need-last-minute-mog-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:0f2df228-bb67-4c1d-a783-5d38d8afadbdPost:2ca9e23e-d9eb-4b34-ad1d-f8ddca5dfb4a">Re: Need a last minute MOG dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The color is the bride's request-after her mother and grandmothers have already selected their dresses and colors. These colors will look best with their dresses and the wedding colors. The colors are all rich/jewel tones, so a light color would stand out a bit too much. MIL has (supposedly!) been to all acceptable stores in her area (including DB). I think she is being too specific-she wants an evening-gown type, not a suit type. I'm sure she could find something off the rack to wear if the wedding took place tomorrow, but she has an idea of what she wants to wear. She keeps finding a "perfect" dress but can't get it here in time. :) So I told her I'd ask-maybe there was some great web site we weren't aware of. Thanks for the advice!
    Posted by avonbride[/QUOTE]
    I think bride is the one being too picky, not MOG.  MOG doesn't have to pick a dress that "goes with" MOB and grandmother's dresses.  MOG should just find a dress that she feels beautiful in and screw the approved colours.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with lala. The bride shouldn't be so specific. And if she was sticking with the outdated tradition of the MOB getting first selection, then the MOG should have gotten the next choice, not the grandmothers.
    I noticed when checking out the evening wear and cocktail dresses in my local department stores that black, purple and teal were popular colors. I checked out the Nordsroms' and Macy's website. They several evening gowns in larger sizes. Good luck to your MIL.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    www.alfredangelo.com both mothers are intending to buy from this line to match the wedding colors.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Speechie1970Speechie1970 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out www.roamans.com

They have lots of plus sizes and may have something to fit what you need.  My step mom is getting her dress from them and she wears a plus size.  She says she has purchased things from them in the past and had good luck.  We are only two months out and she is just now ordering her dress.  I was a little nervous so I asked her if the run our of stock and sahe says they have never been out of what she has ordered.  Good luck! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    THANKS ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards