Moms and Maids
Options

moms-how do you answer

If your children are now married, how do you now answer the question:  how many children do you have?Let me start by saying we've hit the "kids-in-law" lottery.  Our DIL and SIL are just terrific, and we have a great relationship wtih them.So I say to people that I have 5 children:  a son, two daughters, and two children-in-law.  But I wondered what others said.
"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146

Re: moms-how do you answer

• Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Hey buddy, how are you?  Work still bites, but I'm sneaking more time than I thought I would. We still say we have 5 kids, 3 of them are married, AND WE HAVE SIX GORGEOUS GRANDKIDS.  That's about how it gets emphasized too :).  We adore our SILs, that's just how we usually say it. Funny how most people catch right on to the g'kids.  When your time to be come a grandma comes, Trix - it is the best!  What a blast.  Got to show off all 6 of them to my 2 out of state sisters yesterday for the first time.  We had a blast.  I am Nana and I love it.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How wonderful!  I've kind of decided that I would like to be called Nana as well.  No grandchildren on the horizon yet, which is okay with me.  BUT!!! I'm going to be a great-aunt.  Our niece (my sister's DD) who was married in May is pregnant.  I'm very excited, and my kids are thrilled to have this next generation of cousins to come along.  My dad is pretty excited to have his first great-grandchild.He was talking today about all this things he'll have to teach this new little person:  it was all the silly games he played with his own grandchildren.  He's looking forward to doing it again.Glad to hear all is okay at the job.  But I miss seeing your posts, my friend.  Enjoy your labor day!
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    NotNumbersNotNumbers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know the question is directed at mums, but I have to say I'd find it weird if my parents said they had 4 kids instead of 2 (or if my ILs did the same).  Even though I know they love my FI and he gets on with them fantastically well.I think it's perfectly appropriate to say you have 3 kids and two (wonderful) kids in law. 
  • Options
    duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MIL refers to me as her daughter and I hate it. I'm not her daughter. Usually, my parents will say they have two kids and a great son-in-law. In our family referring to in-laws as actual children is crossing the line.
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If asked how many children I have, I tell them I have 2 children. But I don't volunteer further information unless asked. such as their age, marital status, if I have grandchildren, etc..., I don't feel the need to explain our family to strangers, who wouldn't care or remember anyway. If it's someone closer, they will already know. If it's a new friend or acquaintance, they will find out as we get to know each other. No matter how much I like them, I wouldn't refer to my children's spouses as my children, no matter how much I like them. I do feel they are part of the family, but they are not my children.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have to agree....I have one child. Period. Love my FSIL, but he's not my child.
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Same thing as ck--I haven't known my SIL that long.  So, I have one daughter and a son in law.  And a grandchild on the way. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I have one daughter, a son in law and a grandson.I can't see how that would change other than the number of grandchildren."How many children do you have?"  I have one
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards