Moms and Maids

Where to find a cheap, sensible MOB dress?

My mom is 77 years old and all the MOB dress I see are so flashy and that is so not her! She's 5'4 and about 100 lbs so she wants something with a jacket and a fairly long dress but nothing flashy. She has short hair and never ever wears any kind of makeup. She wears garage sales clothes and is very cheap so I want something that suits her. Sorry if that sounds bad, but she is very plain and I want the dress to be nice, but plain as well....and CHEAP!

Re: Where to find a cheap, sensible MOB dress?

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried regular department stores? JC Penney, Macy's, and stores like those have lovely dresses that aren't all "flashy" (I know exactly what you're talking about). And they're far less expensive in many cases than salon dresses. Another possibility is Chadwick's. Look on their website. They have some very pretty dresses that are "dressy" but not "flashy". GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there an upscale consignment store near you?  That might be helpful.  A few years ago, I had to attend 3 or 4 formal functions over just a couple of months, all with the same folks in attendance. I went to the Junior League Thrift Store and got some gently used gowns and bridesmaids dresses for next to nothing. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    Have her check the Coldwater Creek Web site. My mom found a beautiful, simple and inexpensive MOB dress there. I think she paid about $40 for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards