Moms and Maids

Need perspective on parents and guestlists

Hi everyone- I'm hoping some of you parents can give me a little perspective on my situation since I'm really trying my best to understand where my parents are coming from and apparently failing.  Let me explain (sorry- this will be long).  I'm the first person in my family to have a "real" wedding (as opposed to the shot-gun variety or the Vegas special), so they have no clue what they're doing or what it's like to be in my shoes.  I think they partly feel that this is their opportunity for not having weddings of their own.  Problem is, everyone is paying for something, so they all feel they have claim to the guest list.  The original plan was to keep the wedding tab small- which was doable as long as we kept the guest list as small as possible.  We all agreed on a total of 150- no bigger- and everyone agreed to contribute what they could.  Considering that everyone had over a year to come up with the money, everyone agreed that it was no problem.  Except for my FILs who refused to discuss the subject.  It should be noted, though, that his parents are in the best situation, financially, and are far, FAR better off than my family. But whatever, we adjusted the total and did the best we could.  My mom paid $1500 for the reception center- which holds 150 people- and the ceremony site and an additional $500 for some of the decorations, the flower girl's dress, and her own dress.  I don't want her to pay more. She's not in the best situation financially and I know she needs the money for other things.  My dad and step mom offered to pay for the catering, my step grandma is paying for the cake, my grandma bought my dress, and my great grandma gave me $1000 for whatever I needed.  Problem is, since everyone is chipping in, everyone feels that they should be able to invite whomever they want.  And I'm not talking family- I'm talking their co-workers and business associates because they want to show off.  But I couldn't afford it without them, so I had to let them do it.  So we all sat down and agreed on a couple of ground rules:1. we had to be strict on the number invited.  If we invited one of their friends and her husband, they couldn't bring their kids or other "extras." 2. if you added someone to the list, you were responsable for tracking down their RSVP or doing any other follow-up that needed to be done.  3. no kids, except for family. Everyone agreed, and we moved right along.  I found a place that'll cater for $20 a head.  Not cheap, but not bad either considering that it is a full meal.  In any case, it was the cheapest I could find for the quality and I don't see any sense in eating gross food (and paying the price for good food).  It should be noted that my dad and step mom came with me to the consultation and were the ones who decided to go ahead and hire the caterer.  The catererer will need a very accurate headcount.  If we count on too many, we'll pay for meals that won't be eaten (State law doesn't allow them to send us home with any leftovers, so they'll just be thrown away).  If we count on too few, we'll get charged a premium rate for any that show up after the number we provided them. They won't just stop serving after so many guests have shown up - they said that reflects poorly on them and could potentially damage their word-of-mouth business.  So the only way we can make sure that we stay on budget is to be very accurate with the guest list. Again, everyone agreed.  My fiance and I just had to cut some of our friends and some of the more distant cousins to make up the difference. So the invitations were sent out.  Then we found out that family from out of town don't want to pay for a hotel room and will be staying with family that live here- so we had to invite them.  Then my dad decided that he had to invite three more friends and gave them invites before approving them through me.  Then my step-grandma got mad that we didn't invite her friends and threatened not to pay the cake baker.  And so on and so forth. So the number of invites climbed to about 200, and at this point it was too late to trim the list- the invites were out.  I was freaking out- after all, we only had the money and the room for 150.  So I reiterated- we had to be strict on the RSVPs, not assume anyone was or wasn't coming.  We had to call.  We had to tell them we couldn't fit their "extras."  My dad and grandma said I was being rude.  That we couldn't call anyone.  That I was being selfish and it "would all work out"- that only half of the people would even show up.  I tried pleading with them, I tried reasoning with them, I even got to the point where I cried and begged for them to help me out.  Not surprisingly, my dad's friends have all RSVP'd with extras and he refuses to call them and explain the situation.  One of his clients - who I've never even met - is bringing two extras - his son and his son's fiance.  He said it would be good for them to get ideas about weddings for their wedding in January.  My dad won't tell them no because they're invited to their wedding so he thinks it breaks even - but hello, my fiance and I aren't invited to their wedding!  So we pay for four of them and they pay for just the two of them.  Yeah, that's even!  His other friend is bringing their little girl even though we said no kids.  And a third is bringing two of their friends.  He won't even call and see who these people are that they're bringing!  To make things worse, they told me that with the downturn in the economy my dad's business has gone down 50% and they won't be able to contribute as much as they thought they would.  Apparently they hadn't saved one dime this past year in preparation for the wedding.  They even gave me a guilt trip over the amount they are paying! Every time the subject comes up, they remind me how they need new windows (they currently have single pane), but "that can wait one more year...I guess we'll be okay with plastic sheeting this winter."  Oh, and they also complain about how we had to make the guest list so tight they can't even invite my step-mom's uncles.  So here we are with two weeks left and a guest list of 174!  My fiance's parents have finally offered to chip in (at the one month mark out of a 16 month engagement, none the less), so we should be okay money wise, but the reception center only holds 150!  And I can't even fit enough tables in there for that amount!  I tried telling them that we don't have the capacity for all these people and- are you ready for this- they said that people can wait outside (in Utah, in October, at night..brr..) until space clears up inside.  Seriously.  So telling someone they can't bring their friends is rude, but making people stand around outside isn't.  I just spoke to my step mom, hoping that she'd talks some reason into my dad, and she just reiterated what my dad said.  Worse yet, they want me to come over tonight because, in her words, "you're not the only one who's stressed about this."  I'm at my wits end!  I don't know how I'm going to get through these next two weeks. Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom that will help me understand my parents a little better so I can get through this?

Re: Need perspective on parents and guestlists

• TruchanaTruchana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok honey, I'm a recently married bride, and I'm going to tell you something.  You made this guest list thing WAY too difficult on yourself. You should've come to the knot way sooner to discuss best practices in developing your guest list.  No, paying for something does not entitle you to invite whomever you fricken like!!  You should've given each one of them an equal number of invites, and satisfied the grandma's by giving them one or 2 people.  This is YOUR wedding not theirs.  they don't get to invite random people you don't know.  That is neither here nor there because invites have already gone out though.As far as the guest count...your family is 100% wrong.  YES you do call those guests that have not RSVP'd.  Hell, my mom started asking out of state family members before the invites were even sent out if they thought they might be able to attend.  You CAN NOT, and I repeat, CAN NOT have guests waiting outside....that is one of the trashiest things I've ever heard, I'm sorry.  I do not say that to hurt your feelings because I know it is not what you want.  You should print this thing out and show your father if he doesn't believe you.  WEddings are not crazy buffet halls or picnics you heard people in and hope you have room and that day should not be anymore stressful for you than it needs to be.  Your dad obviously has not a clue how to plan a wedding so start leaving him out of it and take charge.  You grab the guest list, start making the calls.   You should have a detailed time line of the entire day to keep things in order.  I can send you mine if you like. Now as far as 174, do you have 174 that have RSVP'd they are coming, or you invited 174?  If you invited 174, you will be cutting it close to get to 150, but will probably make it.  If you invited 200, you are in trouble and need to find a way to seat these people there.  I can't stress enough, you can not have people outside just waiting for a seat.  Your dad will be showing his coworkers what NOT to do at a wedding, instead of giving them ideas on how their wedding.Let me know if you need any tips on planning or timelines or anything.  My wedding went off without a hitch other than a slow beef carver. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry that you are in this situation, but it is time for you to take charge.  Do not listen to one more relative.  Tell them that they have put you in a horrifying position, and you are going to handle it the best way that you can at this date.  Do not argue, do not discuss.  End of story.  Get the guest list and get on the phone.  The people who have RSVP'd with extras, call them now and tell them that there has been an unfortunate situation with your venue, and you will absolutely not be able to accomodate anyone not listed on the original invitation.  Then wait two beats and ask if they will be attending.  if they don't want to come...too bad so sad.  You are better off without them.  If your family refuses to pay, scale down now on what you are doing on the day.  You absolutely cannot have people waiting outside like that...and how do you decide who waits outside?  Unfortunately, by not controlling this early, you have to be the bad guy now.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, obviously I'm pathetic because this bothered me on my drive back home from work!  Something you mentioned got me thinking.  if your dad says those people can wait outside...does this mean you do not have assigned seating??  You need to come up with a seating chart.
  • edited December 2011
    I've tried every step of the way to put my foot down and take control.  Hence the rules we all agreed to.  The problem is that no matter what we agreed upon, my dad, step mom and grandma completely disregarded it.  i did come on the knot when we made our guest list, and it didn't do any good.  My dad ignored it.  Besides, have you seen how mean the women in the other forums are?  All I got was a thorough lambasting from them.  No matter what I've printed out, no matter how many times I've explained how it works, they don't listen, they don't care, and they say that I'm being rude.  The more I put my foot down the more they call me names and talk behind my back that I'm being so rude and selfish and then do what they want anyway.  They threatened to make copies of my invitations and send those to their friends if I didn't send a real one - and keep in mind, this was after the original guest list invites had gone out, so I couldn't trim the list elsewhere!  They think it'll be fine- that I'm just blowing it out of proportion and worrying unnecessarily- they think people will stagger in and we won't have a problem.  They think that the caterer will just run out of food and that'll be that.  And it's too late to scale back. We signed contracts months ago with the agreement that they would contribute a certain amount, and if they retract their money, my fiance and I can't afford it.  With two weeks to go, there just isn't any time to fix what they've screwed up.  And I can't call these people and explain the situation because I don't have their phone numbers and my dad won't give them to me because he doesn't want me to call them.  One of these people I don't even know his address or last name.  The invitation he was given was intended for someone else that my step-mom was going to hand-deliver to.  I have addresses for most of them, so i guess I could send a letter, but I'm still risking having everyone pull their money.  If I would have known all this months ago, I could have changed things.  I could have adjusted the guest list or I could have chosen different vendors or something, but I think they knew that.  They knew that I would tell them they'd have to cut someone if they wanted to add someone else, so they waited until the invites went out and then did all this.  I just feel stuck and depressed and there isn't anyone in my life that understands.  And no, we don't have a seating chart.  We didn't want one to begin with, and it's too difficult with the kind of catering we arranged.  We're doing "action stations" where they prepare the food in front of you to your specifications, so it's not quite a buffet and not quite a plated dinner.  I really hate going to weddings with seating charts, and that was one of the things that my fiance and I agreed early on that we wouldn't subject our guests to.  Not that it would do any good at this point, though- we literally can't fit enough tables in there to accommodate that many seats so we're kind of hoping people don't linger at the tables.  I can put chairs along the walls, but we can't fit any more tables.  Besides- I didn't know all this when we booked the florist, so even if we could fit enough tables in there, we wouldn't have enough centerpieces and table cloths. And with the current pattern of events, I'm sure my dad and step mom would just tell everyone that I was being ridiculous and they can sit wherever they want. And yes, that's 174 that have RSVP'd yes.  I got my step mom to call everyone that didn't RSVP to get their responses, it's just that they won't tell them they can't add whoever they want.  We only had 10-15 people say they couldn't come.  I knew better to rely on a certain percentage not coming, and I explained that to my dad.  But again, he thought I was being a bride-zilla and ignored me. Told me I'm being rude.   So that's where I'm at.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I don't know what to tell you.  Sounds like your dad, step mom, and grandma have completely taken over everything...can your inlaws or mom talk some sense into them?look,  a parents main job in planning a wedding is to support their children and hopefully make sure their dreams come true.  The money they give is a gift, not a conditional matter that they get whatever they want. They should hopefully have faith that they raised their children to be very gracious of the gift and meet them halfway on some of their rquests.  when all of a sudden parents start making  all these demands, it makes planning weddings miserable. Right now your dad is not doing his job in this wedding process, which means he's not supporting you and making these final 2 weeks the best 2 weeks of your life.  I have no idea how old you are, and maybe I have a different look on it because I'm 27 and fully on my own, but I had full control of my guest list.  my parents helped me out so much and tried to take a lot of the stress off of me as I needed, but it sounds like your dad is still treating you like a little girl and not a woman about to be married and you have let him.  again, unless you take control, you are screwed.  Your catering hall is probably going to be pissed you over booked it.   Truth be told, most people that rsvp to a wedding actually go, they don't just skip it.  I had 1 person not show that had rsvp'd...1!  This was a 200 person wedding.  We only had 20 people rsvp no. As far as the seating chart, I would strongly advise against not having one for that many people, but it is your choice.  I understand not liking them but weddings move so much smoother when they have them.  I have no idea what kind of feel you are going for in the wedding, but it might be better to just call a spade a spade and make it very casual and not even have seating or something and just do high tops or something.  I have no idea.  Seriously, who cares if your dad calls you a spoiled brat???  You know you're not, the knot knows your not, I'm sure your friends know that you aren't.  Your dad and step mom are being the unreasonable  ones.  I guess I don't know what you want us to tell you now.  We;ve all said you need to take charge.  now you just have to actually do it.  if they pull back the money, you pull back their guests from coming them.  Easy as that.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Inform you father, grandmother, stepmother, etc. that they make the phone calls or you will not show up on the day of the wedding.And be very serious about it.  I can't imagine doing this to my daughter!
  • edited December 2011
    Start threatening them.  Tell them the wedding is canceled and you are going to Vegas.  Hire security fo the door and give them the list of people you want let in and have them turn away all these extras.  The guy with no last name will be the first one bounced!And NO the main thing for parents is NOT supporting the birde.  The PARENTS ARE RESPOINSIBLE FOR THE WEDDING AS IN HOSTS SO THIS CRAP DOESN'T HAPPEN.  Your Dad is a loon.  I think you should treat your mom as the hostess and let the entire venue know that you dad should be locked up. Isn't this why handfast's daughter canceld her wedding? Personally I would NOT care if crazy ppl were talking about me behind my back. How can you let them twist you around like that?  You are so lucky this is your family and not your IL's.  I think your groom should run for the hills.  Plan on moving several states away very soon.  Where is your groom in all of this?  Maybe he could have a man to man with your dad.  BTW this is not about understanding your parents.  This is about managing them. None of us here can explain such a refusal to deal with reality. Ask your father how he is going to look when he get caugh trying to fit 8 lbs of sh*t in a 5 lbs. bag.  Rude, he wants 24 to stand around in the parking lot!  Wouldn't it be kinder of him to ask them not to come now, than have them stand aroud in the parking lot later.  Maybe you can pick 24 peole who would be happy with their own little party in a separate room.   All the clients who don't now you from Adam and Eve in the first place.
  • edited December 2011
    Better plan.  Tell them that if they do not trim the list by 24 ppl that you will have to take drastic action.  Then plan you escape.  Do the church wedding then get in your car/limo and head for the airport.  Leave them to explain at the reception.  You could also show up at the reception and then leave at first sign of trouble.BTW you really screwed up when you GAVE them extra invitations.  If they had photocopied you would be in so much better a situation.  But you let them maniputlate you with emotional crap!
  • laurenR10laurenR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this is bit late but I couldn't help saying something because if I were you I would have completed lost it and had a meltdown by now. Im 26 and getting married next October, I was very clear that this was not a family reunion and that it was about the two of us, period. As much as I want to make everyone happy at the end of the day you also need to make yourself and your fiancee happy.  I hate to say this because there are so many wonderful parents offering support, but emotional black mail is something you might need to stoop to. I've just never heard of something like this happening before. You need to have a breakdown in front of your parents, I mean really hand it to them.  They put you in this postion so they need to get it, even if that means you walking out the door and telling them your getting married on a mexican beach with out them and you will see them after your honeymoon. I have never heard of such a lack of respect from invitees, inviting their own friends to someone's wedding, who are these people? Maybe you need a bouncer at the door only allowing people in with an invitation ;) They have made YOUR wedding about them and that is completely unacceptable. If they call you selfish or a brat remind them they need to look in the mirror. If they say im not payng for that then, tell them oh well there your friends anyway, their embarrassment not yours. Let them know this isn't backyard picnic but your wedding day and it needs to be treated as such, sternly  saying that would be best.  You sound so sweet and I feel so terrible for you, but you really need to put your foot down, you've let them walk all over you and create a debacle of your special day. After your breakdown, I would only let that go on for an hour or so, get it all out and then take back the control. Do what you need to do to get things in order and make it happen. If that means calling your dads work to get these invitees on the phone than do it, it might not be politically correct but what options have you been left with.  Your family has turned into famzillas and they need to be crushed :) If all else fails and you have a strongly opinionated fiancee, I would send him into the war zone to set things straight!  I know this might have not helped but maybe if it made you smile a little, maybe even a chuckle, thats good enough!! :) Goodluck with the everything!!
  • missmelis17missmelis17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh my gosh...you poor thing. My wedding is in 5 days, everything is going smoothly, and I can hardly sleep I'm so stressed out! I can't even imagine how you fell...you have my sympathy.Here is my advice to you: In all honesty, I would elope. Your wedding has been hijacked. Just get your groom, pack a bag, and head for Cabo San Lucas with the money you had saved for your wedding. Mexico is CHEAP right now! Send everyone a postcard from the airport that says "Surprise! We're on our honeymoon! Love you!" or whatever. Just get the hell out of dodge and enjoy your day in peace and quiet with the man you love. This is exactly what a girlfriend of mine did. About a month before their wedding, they were completely overwhelmed, so they had a justice of the peace come to their house and they were married in their back yard, bare-footed, with mimosas in hand. The bride wore a cute white sundress and they had their best friend videotape the ceremony so they could show it to everyone later. It was very romantic, very low key, and VERY low stress.Good luck! Let us know what happens!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry Shellysmom, I beg to differ.  I 110% entirely believe the most important role a parent can take in planning a wedding is supporting your child. This support comes in a variety of methods, whether it's financial, hosting a wedding, helping do crafts, keeping things on task, etc, but it all boils down to you supporting your child, not causing you undue stress like this poor girls father, step mom, and grandma have caused her. 
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    "BTW you really screwed up when you GAVE them extra invitations. If they had photocopied you would be in so much better a situation. But you let them maniputlate you with emotional crap! "I disagree that op screwed up.  See point one on the start of her OP.Again, I suggest that you tell them you will not show day of if they do not resolve this themselves.btw, I think Lauren is dead on and I would hate to be against her in an argument.  Very well put
  • edited December 2011
    Does anybody still owe your vendors money?  I would get that during your melt down! Unless your current plan is to escape and point the vendors in the direction of those who signed contracts.  This is a sorry sorry situation and I'm guessing that you knew the character of the people involved since you tried to be so up front on your rules knowing in your heart that these family members were likely to flake out on you. Sorry if it feels like we are dumping on you. I still can't believe you asked us to explain this behavior to you.  No you aren't crazy!  They are!
  • edited December 2011
    Are you even going to be able to enjoy your wedding at all at this point? I agree with the elopement idea. Leave your family to clean up the mess they've put you in. You're supposed to be happy right now!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want to know how this wedding went?!?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards