Moms and Maids
Options

bridesmaid gift poll

I was going to do a cute clutch for my BM, but what do you guys think of this necklace...carrie wore it in the new sex and the city movie

http://fabfitfun.com/more-of-carries-charm

Re: bridesmaid gift poll

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think polls are lame.  I also think, sorry, that copying jewelry from a movie is lame.  Well, really, I think copying celebrities is lame.

As for the gift.  WP gifts don't have to be, nor should they be matchy-matchy.  They also shouldn't be about your wedding.

Jewelry that you'll expect your friends to wear at the wedding isn't a gift for them.  It's a gift for you to create the "vision" that you have for your wedding.  And seriously, can you tell me what jewelry the BMs were wearing at the last 6 weddings you attended?  There's no need to micromanage down to that detail.

Take the words "wedding party" out of the equation.  Now, go shopping for your friends.  Pretend it's their birthday.  Pretend it's Christmas.  Okay, start shopping.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks for your input, a little harsh but thanks. I am just struggling with what to get each of them, not because I want them all to match or wear my necklace, but because I really thought it was cute.

What types of gifts are you giving your bridesmaids...just looking for a starting point that I can fit to my bm's taste.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto trix. You should try to individualize and shop for each girl personally. I looked at that necklace and I don't really think it is wedding like, but maybe that is just me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've got a lot of cash saved up and I've been toying with the idea of getting my bridesmaids Tiffany necklaces to wear at the wedding.  Not like, the big chunky chain ones but the simple, thin silver chains with a charm on the end.  I could pick a different charm for each girl.  I haven't decided if I'm going to do that yet or not but if I did, I think that the jewelry could definitely double as a gift.  They'd all be wearing it during the wedding, it would all be personalized to them, and cool enough to wear any time afterwards.
    panther
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess I wasn't looking to 'force' them to wear anything. I just thought it was a pretty necklace. I am also not into the whole making bm's do what you want...
  • Options
    quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know your BMs better than we do - do you think they would like it?  If I were your BM I wouldn't like it, because it's just not my style and I would never wear it.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would they like the necklace?  Personally, I'd never wear it, and if I found out that it were from Sex and the City it'd probably go in the Goodwill box no matter how much it's worth. 

Pretend it's their birthday.  Presumably they are all individuals with differing interests, skills, and talents, so they don't have to all get the same gift.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't even look at the necklace, I chose to get something personal. I'd be annoyed if a bride got me the same thing as everyone else, especially if it was jewelry. One, because I don't wear any so it's a useless gift, and two because it shows she didn't bother to think of what I might like individually.

I got my MOH something that was a flashback to our childhood together, these toy horses we used to play with that got lost during one of her moves. That and a collectible horse, and she loved them. It means more when you show that you care enough to consider each person.
  • Options
    cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sort of crossing streams with how I'm handling BM gifts.  They are all getting jewelry for the day of the wedding - the only thing matching is necklaces, then they will either get bracelets or earrings that are unique to them.

They all have seen and LOVE the necklaces - it's a style that I knew everyone but my MOH would love, so when my MOH picked them, I knew they were the right choice.  Earrings and bracelets coordinate with the necklace, but they are unique to each BM.  So they all get their own personal style too.

That's not all they are getting though.  They are all getting some sort of bag - 3 purses of varying sizes for what they would like, 1 duffel bag (a STEAL and awesome for the BM), and 1 messenger bag that I knitted for the MOH (she's crafty, and I know she'll love it).

Then, since they all like to travel, I'm doing jewelry rolls so they can take their jewels traveling with them.  I have the pattern for them, now all I need is some fabric.  But I want them to be unique to each BM too.
  • Options
    cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-gift-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:17f830b9-5852-4d8f-a09b-34441cbb608dPost:a5e62f59-6fb3-48ec-84fa-6a5f0a0eeacf">Re: bridesmaid gift poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I wasn't looking to 'force' them to wear anything. I just thought it was a pretty necklace. I am also not into the whole making bm's do what you want...
    Posted by erinchris82010[/QUOTE]
    Oh... and they got to pick their own dresses.  We all agreed together on the color, so the necklaces (and the flowers) are really the only thing they are actually going to match with.
  • Options
    ladybones0219ladybones0219 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually think it depends on your and your BM's personalities.  I think that necklace is cute and last weekend me and my besties who are all my BM's went to Sex and the City 2 together so in my situation that would be a cute fun gift but I would not make them wear it to my wedding.  I just think it all depends.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-gift-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:17f830b9-5852-4d8f-a09b-34441cbb608dPost:c71f7de8-54bf-49bd-8688-4159dbab31c9">Re: bridesmaid gift poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't even look at the necklace, I chose to get something personal. I'd be annoyed if a bride got me the same thing as everyone else, especially if it was jewelry. One, because I don't wear any so it's a useless gift, and two because it shows she didn't bother to think of what I might like individually.Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

I somewhat disagree with this. I see where you're coming from without a doubt but I'm getting my BMs similar gifts and it doesn't mean I didn't think about all of my friends individually. I thought for a long time before deciding what to get everybody because I wanted to get them something that would be fun and something that they would use.

For the OP, if you like the necklace and you know they will each like it then go for it (though I do agree that if you're asking them to wear them during the wedding it's not technically a gift).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Everytime I read these message boards I sigh.  Some of these women are harsh, harsh, harsh.

I've got to be honest - i'm not thrilled with the necklace.  I love costume jewelry but this one's got a very nearing expiration date.  I.E. it will be out of style in no time at all!

I don't agree with the PPs that you have to get every person an individually different gift.  I think the idea is nice but if you have money or time constraints it's not necessarily feasible. 

As some said, you know your BMs best.  Do what you think they'll like. 
    BabyFruit Ticker If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. Even if we're apart i'll always be with you. - A.A. Milne
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, some of these brides are being down right rude. There's a reason I've made one major post on this board.

I personally love the necklace and if you know your BM's will wear it and appreciate it, then go for it. Also, you can get them all different necklaces to fit each personality.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • Options
    mstar284mstar284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess this thread has probably run its course, but I'll add my two cents anyway.

Without commenting about actual necklace (because it depends on what you know your BM would like), I have received as a BM a bag full of goodies that were related to the wedding....camera, flip flops for the reception, compact mirror, a robe with my initials, and a bottle of wine, and a necklace. We ALL got the same presents, but I never once thought, "Wow. She could have done better. How cheap and impersonal." I was just excited to be a part of her special day. I think it's kind of snobby to turn your nose up at what you receive as a gift. All of her gifts, even though they weren't individualized and were rather "cliche" were really cute and fun.

But I guess it's good to see others' viewpoints so I know what my BM may think, regardless of my character.

Photobucket

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards