Moms and Maids
Options

Mother of the Bride Dress

Hi-

My girls dress color is a magenta, my mom is asking me what color dress she should wear... what do you think?
She wants to see a swatch of the girls dress, i keep telling her it doesn't have to match.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Re: Mother of the Bride Dress

• Options
    AmandaK2010AmandaK2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My BM dresses are black and pink.  My mom is looking at grey, silver, or gold dresses.  Something that "goes" but doesn't match.  Try looking at a metallic color.
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She can wear whatever she feels comfortable in and is appropriate in formality. You can't tell your mom what to wear. She is a grown woman who has been dressing herself since before you've been born.
  • Options
    KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whatever she feels good in and whatever is appropriate.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think a dress in one of your accent colors or a corresponding color would be good. A swatch of your dress wouldn't be a bad idea.  Not for her to match but for her to make sure that her color coordinates.  Some people have a very hard time visualizing the color schemes and there are many different shades of one color.  My mother fully acknowledges her lack of coordinating and fashion.  She asked that I go with her to look for a dress...which is not out of the ordinary for us as she asks my sister and I for fashion advice on a regular basis even if its just for dinner plans she has...haha.  Perhaps you could look with your mother for a dress...it could be great quality time with her regardless if she could use the additional help.
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make it a girls day out & take you FMIL shopping too.  This will allow them to bond a little & will increase the changes of both of their dresses being appropriate.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your mom seems to be really co-operative. You're very lucky.  You want her to feel comfortable and beautiful on your wedding day, as you are her little girl.  I agree that metallics are often the best choice.  A pewter gray would be beautiful with fuschia (I think you said fuschia?) Additionally, I agree with the woman who said she should have a swatch - she's right.  Fuschia to one person is cranberry to another :)
    BabyFruit Ticker If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. Even if we're apart i'll always be with you. - A.A. Milne
  • Options
    beamer84beamer84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Maybe suggest your Mom get a dress in another shade of the color of the bridesmaids dresses? I tol my Mom to get whatever she wanted, and I LOVE the colors of her dress. My WP dresses are a dark lilac, and my Mom got a dress that's black with dark purple flowers on it (varying shades of purple). It's another shade of purple (different from their dresses), so it'll match.

• Options
    felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    not sure there are really any guidlines...let her be comfy.  My colors with Magenta is to suggest a Jewel tone?  Dark reds, greens, even darker yellows, oragnes, or blues and purples.
    My colors are purple and grey, and my mom is getting a nice dark Jade colored dress. 
  • Options
    desireevicdesireevic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a good idea that your mom is asking.  And whatever color she feels good in is acceptable, I think.  My FMIL decided she wanted to buy an IVORY dress (she is still looking for something, b/c I had to yell at her about the inappropriatiness of her wearing IVORY!)....so you are lucky that she is being appropriate and asking you for advice.  Check out different styles and colors on her, I'm sure you will find something you both like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards