Moms and Maids

Boyfriend~ Involve or leave out?

Now I know this may seem like a silly question, but it's nearly unbelievable just how much it can play into things. So, my sis is getting married this weekend; it's a late afternoon wedding this Saturday, and I am to be a bridesmaid. My boyfriend is invited to the wedding, but he is not in the wedding party. Now, here's my question to you all... do I try to keep him involved in the wedding events prior and after the wedding itself, or do I just wait and let him attend the wedding, and be done with it?
 Why I'm asking this is because I'd really like him to be there for the rehearsal dinner and rehearsal tomorrow night. I think it would be a lot of fun. But, if I invited him, would it maybe seem a bit too pushy? We've been dating for 2 months, and it's been great, but I don't by any means want to 'scare him off' by involving him with such wedding-themed events already.
 But, I don't want to leave him out, either, I think he'd really enjoy it, and my sister is completely fine with inviting him to anything he would like to come to... including the rehearsal dinner.
 Opinions? Ideas?

Re: Boyfriend~ Involve or leave out?

• edited December 2011
    I suggest you ask his opinion as to what he'd like to do.  I don't think you're being pushy by asking.
  • bstentbstent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would mention it casually as if you don't really care either way, so he doesn't feel pressured. Something like "I'm so excited for my sister's wedding it'll be such a fun weekend! Oh, by the way, my sister said you're welcome to join us for ___(whatever you want to invite him to)_____, what do you think?" Then if he gets a little weird just brush it off like it's not a big deal and say you'll be pretty busy that weekend but are excited to hang out at the reception, and then change the subject and just go on like normal.
    He might make up an excuse so he doesn't have to go, and if he does try not to take it personally. He might just be worried that it'll be all family and close friends and you'll be busy doing bridesmaid stuff and he'll be left stranded talking to your dad or something, which I would imagine would be a stressful image! If you know it's going to be casual, lots of friends, and more of a "party" atmosphere, drop that into conversation when inviting him along so he knows what it will be like.
  • vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't recommend having him come to the actual rehearsal.  I was once the girlfriend who had to sit in the back of the church watching the rehearsal take place.  We'd only been together for a few months, so I didn't know anybody else there, and my boyfriend was busy being the best man.  It was awkward and boring.

However, I think having him meet you for the actual dinner portion would be a great way to include him.
  • edited December 2011
    IMO, if the bride wanted him there or thought it was appropriate, she would've made it clear already that he was invited. 

So to answer your question, yes, I think it would be pushy to ask. I don't think it's necessary that he's there. 

My wedding is next weekend and my sister is my MOH. Her BF is invited to the wedding, but he's not coming to the RD. She completely understands and has never asked to bring him along, which I very much appreciate. Another BM seriously pestered me to invite her flavor of the week for a month, and I was disappointed at her lack of respect for my decision to not invite him. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards