Moms and Maids
Options

Step-sister-in-law bridesmaid problem

Hello Ya'll,
'
Okay, I am feeling really bad about feeling this way, but I am regreting asking my step sister-in-law to stand up.  We aren't close at all.  We only speak at holidays, and when we do it is brief.  I asked her to stand up in order to keep the peace in my fiance's family and me.  I know that they probably would've been upset if I didn't think of having her stand-up.  If any of you brides out there had to ask someone to be in your wedding party to keep the peace would you do it too? Everyone keeps telling me that I shouldn't of asked her, but I don't want the start of my relationship with his family to begin on a sour note

Re: Step-sister-in-law bridesmaid problem

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you ask your step-SIL to be a BM already?  If you already asked her, you are stuck with her.  There is no way to suggest that she step down without ruining the relationship and probably causing all kind of family drama.
  • Options
    tidetraveltidetravel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_step-sister-law-bridesmaid-problem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:44a123d6-db8d-41f6-a357-bea26b1e617ePost:278a7c1a-9ea2-46cf-bf3a-2f3ec60d18eb">Step-sister-in-law bridesmaid problem</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello Ya'll, ' Okay, I am feeling really bad about feeling this way, but I am regreting asking my step sister-in-law to stand up.  We aren't close at all.  We only speak at holidays, and when we do it is brief.  I asked her to stand up in order to keep the peace in my fiance's family and me.  I know that they probably would've been upset if I didn't think of having her stand-up.  If any of you brides out there had to ask someone to be in your wedding party to keep the peace would you do it too? Everyone keeps telling me that I shouldn't of asked her, but I don't want the start of my relationship with his family to begin on a sour note
    Posted by Laura3086[/QUOTE]

Just keep your expectations low.  As long as she gets a dress and smiles for pictures, you're golden.  Don't expect her to talk to you about wedding plans, go shopping with you, or attend any parties. 
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    barbie92barbie92 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    You already asked her  so you can't tell her she is no longer in the WP. Sorry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image Robby James born 2.24.12 @ 23 weeks due to preterm labor
    Remembering Robby
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Though this is typically bad etiquette, may I suggest deleting your original post (just click edit, then delete the text, since it won't let you delete all of an original post)?

There has been more than one bride caught talking about their family or fiance's family on TheKnot, and it causes more drama than it's worth.

And I agree with other posters - keep your expectations low, and you'll be fine.  If my guy's sisters wanted to stand up as bridesmaids and it would have caused an issue with future family relationships, then I'd do it to keep the peace.  Some things aren't worth it in the long run, and I firmly believe that's one of them.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks you guys!

I was never thinking about booting her out of the WP, because that would be just completely horrible and mean.  I just wanted some verification from everyone so I can tell the people that want her out, that it's not proper etiquette to boot a bridesmaid.
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried working on the relationship with her?  You have plenty of time, and she's going to be around for life.  If you put some effort into getting to know her, perhaps it will make things less awkward.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_step-sister-law-bridesmaid-problem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:44a123d6-db8d-41f6-a357-bea26b1e617ePost:f14593ac-d022-430b-9e86-aa30ee75fc82">Re: Step-sister-in-law bridesmaid problem</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you tried working on the relationship with her?  You have plenty of time, and she's going to be around for life.  If you put some effort into getting to know her, perhaps it will make things less awkward.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

This is great advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards