Moms and Maids
Options

MOB Dress

New to the Knot...but need help on MOB dress. Looked at so many websites but they all seem so alike. Really would like to find: long-some sort of sleeve-but a look of old hollywood style if you can imagine....different-simple-style. Not much for showing the arm...back....low neckline and such anymore! Tired of looking at the same old look of dresses....nothing really different as of yet that I have seen. Your suggestions are welcome! 

Re: MOB Dress

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you can't find what you like, try finding a tailor or seamstress.  I've done this when I couldn't find what I wanted and after buying the material and paying her, it wasn't much more than I would have paid in a store.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're looking for an Old Hollywood style, I'm a big fan of www.unique-vintage.com. Just be warned to check the measurements carefully, their sizes run quite small.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You don't have to buy your MOB dress from a bridal shop. Look in the stores where you usually shop. This is a great time of year to start looking, since the stores bring in lots of cocktail dresses and gowns for the holidays. 

If you can't find anything with sleeves, you could add a bolero, shrug or wrap.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh thank the Lord it's not another bride whining about her mother's or FMIL's dress.

OP - My mom bought a really classy black dress last year with capped sleeves - but it was really, really low cut.  But she bought it anyway because she was having a nightmare trying to find a damn dress.  What she did was she took it to a seamstress and they sewed a lovely piece of lace into the cleavage area - hello modesty.

I'd suggest just going for a dress that fits and look into ways you can modify it.
    panther
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mob-dress-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:4bfe3ead-bfd4-4b59-8c62-1cfceda4ed8ePost:6c3b0383-809a-4c9f-b4a2-31468a5137af">Re: MOB Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't have to buy your MOB dress from a bridal shop. Look in the stores where you usually shop. This is a great time of year to start looking, since the stores bring in lots of cocktail dresses and gowns for the holidays.  If you can't find anything with sleeves, you could add a bolero, shrug or wrap.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

I think this is great advice!  Most department stores will have tons of holiday party dresses, and I think that the prices are usually better. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mommas gonna wear a nice pant suit, she doesnt wear dresses and I am not going to make her uncomfortable at my wedding.
    You can probly find a good deal at a Jc Pennys or a Nordstroms they have nice clothing
    My Shoes :)Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards