Moms and Maids

Divorced/Remarried MOB

Help!  My daughter wants to have dad and stepdad walk her down the isle.  Not sure what to do with father/daughter dance and what names to put on invitations.  Need help ASAP!  Wedding in June 2010.

Re: Divorced/Remarried MOB

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who is hosting the wedding?

• bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why are you worried about the father/daughter dance?  That's for your daughter to decide, not you.  Same with the invitations.  You need to take the lead from your daughter, mom.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto.  This is her decision to make, not yours.  Go along with whatever she decides to do.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011
    I have to ditto the other ladies.  These decisions are your daughters to make, not yours.  Particularly the father/daughter dance(s).  If she's old enough to get married, she's old enough to make what might be some possibly touchy decisions.

Now, in case you're just asking so that you can run decisions by her and let HER make the decisions:  she can have two dances with her dads, or one.  She starts with one dad and the other "cuts in" and finishes the dance.  Or she can skip a father/daughter dance altogether.

As for invitations, it's very easy to have the invitations say "Together with their parents"  Jennifer and James request the honour blah blah blah.  That way all bases are covered.

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, so this was my first time posting a message and I feel like I was slammed.  My daughter tells me everyday, please do what you want mom.  I trust your ideas.  Trust me, I try and try and try to get her more involved.  She only wants a beautiful wedding.
  • bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    edited December 2011
    Well, since no one here is a mind-reader, people can only respond to what you post.  And no one "slammed" you, you were just told that these were your daughter's decisions.  You gave no indication that she'd asked you to make the choice.

First, just breathe.  You're making way too big a deal over these things.  And for a MOB you are awfully sensitive.  You do your daughter (or yourself) no favors by being overly sensitive.

Second, tell your daughter to make her own decision about the father-daughter dance.  In the end it's her dancing.  FWIW, my parents are divorced  and I only did a father-daughter dance with my own father.  He also is the one who gave me away, even though I wasn't "his" to give away.  It would have killed him if he couldn't have done those things.  But that's my story.  This is something your daughter should decide.  Just say "Katie, this one's up to you.  I'll support and help with whatever you decide."   You're opening yourself up to criticism and hurt feelings if you get involved in such a personal decision, even if it's completely undeserved.  Why risk it?

Third, our invites went like this:
    Mr. Babling's Dad and Mrs. Babling's Mom
    Mr. and Mrs. Babling's H's Dad
    request...
    But since there are so many parties in your case, it might be best to follow trix's suggestion to say "together with their families" and leave the names out of it.  Probably the most diplomatic way to go.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards