Moms and Maids
Options

How do I make the MOH stand out from other girls?

I am getting married in June, and my girls (there's 4 total) are wearing strapless satin knee-length dresses in royal blue. My maid of honor has hinted about wanting a little something to set her apart from the other girls, but not wanting to "steal the show." Any suggestions on what to add to make her stand out a little bit? A sash wouldn't work with the style of dress, the tuxes are black with silver vests, and I'm adding a medium shade of pink accents into the flowers, and that's it for colors. Help! lol.

Re: How do I make the MOH stand out from other girls?

• Options
    bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most people will assume the person standing closest to you is MOH regardless of how you distinguish her.  My MOH had no distinguishing characteristics in her outfit yet everyone still knew who she was.  And really, most people don't care.

If she's that insistent, you can get her a bigger bouquet than the other girls.  I've seen that done a lot.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed, bigger bouquet or closer to the bridal bouquet to set her apart.  In reality, everyeone will probably know who she is.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A slightly bigger bouquet or one more similar to yours, a flower in her hair (this is what my sister/MOH wants) or a wrist corsage. As your guests look at their program, they should be able to figure it out if they don't know her bc like other girls said, she will be closest to you and also walk in with the best man.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've seen people to a long dress or maybe on thats knee length with a train a little lnger in the back. Or wrap her bouquet in a different color.
  • Options
    jaimed99jaimed99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could also maybe find a pretty brooch or pin to attach to your MOH's dress that would subtly set her apart from the other BMs...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moh-stand-out-other-girls?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:55229106-b723-4a79-9ead-2e3ad400b8b0Post:7f704d7a-278e-4487-8773-7831f811a329">How do I make the MOH stand out from other girls?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married in June, and my girls (there's 4 total) are wearing strapless satin knee-length dresses in royal blue. My maid of honor has hinted about wanting a little something to set her apart from the other girls, but not wanting to "steal the show." Any suggestions on what to add to make her stand out a little bit? A sash wouldn't work with the style of dress, the tuxes are black with silver vests, and I'm adding a medium shade of pink accents into the flowers, and that's it for colors. Help! lol.
    Posted by hopefaithnlove16@yahoo.com[/QUOTE]

Since you're adding a medium shade of pink into everyone's flowers, why not add a deeper shade in the MOH's?  It would set her apart without making a big deal out of it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My MOH is wearing a lightly diferent dress.   The colors are all the same nbut hers has straps and the rest are straplesss.  Whn I wa a MOH i was in a slighlty different style  My had cap sleve and a shade darker while the others were tank top type sleeves
  • Options
    jmzengerjmzenger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my wedding, I am wearing a feather fascinator in ivory with a pearl embellishments. My MOH is wearing the exact same thing as the other girls, right down to the bouquet.  But she will have a black feather headband in her hair with the same pearl embellishment as mine.  I think it will be a great way to let her shine and show that our connection is special.
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd either do the bigger bouquet or make it more similar to yours.

Also, I don't know if this is an option for you, but when I was MOH in my sister's wedding my dress was the only one that had a corset back.  It was a subtle way of differentiating it, though it did cost extra to put in.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My MOH is my sister so everyone will know who she is.  But I wanted something for her myself.  All my girls are getting personalized style hair accessories.  The 3 bms match fairly well where as my sis's is completely different and a slight bit more like mine.  Do what you can to make her feel special, you asked her for a reason!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I like the idea about her having a slightly different bouquet, especially with the darker pink. I just want her to feel special, because she is and she is doing so much for me already! Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister is my MOH, but oddly enough I look a lot like my sister-in-law; so to make sure my sister stands out her dress has a different neckline. The other 3 bms will be in strapless dresses while my sister will have either spaghetti straps or cap-sleeves. The dresses will be the same color and style.
  • Options
    loverikaloverika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MOH has a patterned dress, while the other 4 girls have different style dresses in one solid color.
  • Options
    mmckown1mmckown1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe add a sash to her dress in your secondary color?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister is my MOH and since some of my bridesmaids look more like me I decided to have my sisters dress in a deeper shade of purple. All of my girls are wearing the same dress but my MOH's is a richer deeper color. For those of you who speak David's Bridal colors my MOH is in lapis and my BM's are in Wisteria :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you seen You, Me and Dupree? Tell her she have have a badge saying MOH ride on her dress if she wants. If she doesn't then I like the bigger bouquet idea. She might regret asking for a bigger bouquet at the end of the wedding because she has to hold hers and yours. No switching hands.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards