Moms and Maids

harsh moms and dads!

Anyone's parents refusing to accept their future spouse?? 

Re: harsh moms and dads!

• MrsMack10612MrsMack10612 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, my FI is probably my mom's favorite IL/FIL.

Just curious - do you're parents have any valid concerns not to accept him? 

• aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think my dad's the fondest of DH, but then, I'm not terribly close to my dad either, so I didn't really need his approval.  Same situation with me and MIL.

I think we need a little more information here, there are a lot of reasons a parent can disapprove.  My dad doesn't like DH because he thinks he's turned me into a godless heathen (because he doesn't want to accept that I've done that all on my own), and MIL isn't fond of me because she doesn't really like any of her sons' spouses and she's clinically insane.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • edited December 2011
    Are your parents pretty "normal" people otherwise? Do they give good advice in other areas of your life?

If so, I would be very careful about not listening to people whom you respect and care about and know you.

If not, well, the fact that you're getting married isn't going to make them discerning people.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm curious about why they don't like him.  My parents recognized FI as my future husband before I did.  They knew me better than I knew myself.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_harsh-moms-dads?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:5ff34c3c-6eed-4e88-9aec-ede37f814363Post:b29d0f64-be9b-48b0-a8c9-106475019feb">Re: harsh moms and dads!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm curious about why they don't like him.  My parents recognized FI as my future husband before I did.  They knew me better than I knew myself.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.

That said, I once dated someone for several years who I was CONVINCED was the man I was going to marry that everyone close to me highly disapproved of. He basically drained my finances, stole from me, cheated on me, wrecked my car, stalked me when I broke up with him, and is now in jail, so clearly they saw something that I didn't. I am a firm believer that while you shouldn't let other people make your decisions, you should thoroughly consider why they feel the way they do.
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Mom couldn't stand my ex-FI, her nickname for him was "The Slacker". Dad never talks to anyone, so that wasn't unusual. Turned out, Mom's opinion of him was pretty much totally correct. She loves current FI, and Dad actually talks to him - which IS unusual. Having a BF that my parents approved of is probably a big part of what made BF into FI =D
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Ok well in that case - does anyone have friends whose parents can't stand the dude they chose? I would love to speak with them about a new TV series I am casting for brides to be dealing with kooky parents. Thanks - Amy 

212 564 2607 ex: 2339
  • edited December 2011
    Wow really? Just gonna put your phone number out there for the whole internetz?

I also find it offensive that you were not upfront about trying to cast a tv show. Women come to these boards for advice, not to be on tv. It is about sharing similar experience, not to have someone take your experiences and expose them to America.
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • edited December 2011
    Lady - you can't post this on TK without KA's permission.  A highschooler on the Wedding Recap page even knew this.  She's doing a paper for class and had the common sense to get permission first.

Reported.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
    edited December 2011
    Wow.  I didn't expect that.  I'm honestly horrified.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • edited December 2011
    I googled the phone number and it comes up for a "left-field pictures" out of NYC, it looks like they are the ones that have done Pawn Stars and Oddities...

All I can say is random
  • edited December 2011
    Yup- anyone can have my work phone number and give me a call if they would like more information. I am a real person, Hi! My name is Amy. "Horrified" is a strong word. This show is a great opportunity, and if you are not interested simply disregard the note. Thanks so much. 
    edited December 2011
    Posting any sort of solicitation, including casting calls, is against the rules of these boards.  Posing as a bride to try to do so is what's horrifying.

• edited December 2011
    Check her history. She has posted this type of question on other boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards