Moms and Maids

WP gift idea....Good idea or not?

Our wedding is going to have many Scottish traditions incorportated into it. All of the men in the WP as well as the dads are wearing Kilts, there will be bagpipers and many of the guests will know some of the traditional scottish dances. We will be using our family tartan in some of the decor as accents, as well. I found an item from a store that I thought was a really neat idea, though it is not really a "useful" item.

This gift is a "Laird" or "Lady" Set, which entitles the owner to a very small plot of land in Scotland, and therefore along with the land the title of being a Lord or a Lady. There is a whole book that accompanies this gift to give the recipient more information about this title/land ownership/etc. I thought it was a very cute idea for our wedding party, because it was related to our wedding and is very unique.

I want to be sure to give my best friends gifts that they will appreciate, however, and am hesitant to give these gifts because they are not really "useful" or serve any purpose. I can post the link to this product if anyone is curious about it, though I wanted to refrain from advertising any retailer in my post!

Thank you for your input, I would love to hear what others think about this gift idea!

Re: WP gift idea....Good idea or not?

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_wp-gift-ideagood-idea-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:6012c392-395a-4fd0-b61f-e9ef00624336Post:87368422-04ee-4852-b8c4-3592913451ec">WP gift idea....Good idea or not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our wedding is going to have many Scottish traditions incorportated into it. All of the men in the WP as well as the dads are wearing Kilts, there will be bagpipers and many of the guests will know some of the traditional scottish dances. We will be using our family tartan in some of the decor as accents, as well. I found an item from a store that I thought was a really neat idea, though it is not really a "useful" item. This gift is a "Laird" or "Lady" Set, which entitles the owner to a very small plot of land in Scotland, and therefore along with the land the title of being a Lord or a Lady. There is a whole book that accompanies this gift to give the recipient more information about this title/land ownership/etc. I thought it was a very cute idea for our wedding party, because it was related to our wedding and is very unique. I want to be sure to give my best friends gifts that they will appreciate, however, and am hesitant to give these gifts because they are not really "useful" or serve any purpose. I can post the link to this product if anyone is curious about it, though I wanted to refrain from advertising any retailer in my post! Thank you for your input, I would love to hear what others think about this gift idea!
    Posted by kevynraeWed228619[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but this wouldn't mean a thing to me.  What exactly are they supposed to do with a very small plot of land in Scotland?

See, this is meaningful to YOU, but not necessarily to them at all, as you said.  I'd not be impressed, I'm afraid.

The gift for your WP should be about them, and a thank you to them for their time, money spent, and sharing your wedding with you. IMO, a WP gift should NOT be necessarily related to your wedding at all.  It doesn't need to be a keepsake either.

I don't know how much your "small plot of land" costs, but I'd far rather have a small gc to Panera or a gc for amazon to download a book to my kindle, than something that I'll never, ever, ever see, use, or want.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • garcias1garcias1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Trix.  This is sort of like that gimmick where you can name a star after someone.  The gift doesn't serve any purpose, and it's not even a real gift, since the star isn't even named after the person.  Even if it was, so what?  It's not like you're going to live on it or be able to sell it for money.

I understand that your heritage is important to you.  Incorporating it into your wedding is lovely, but imposing it on someone else would not be the most considerate option.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • orangecrush32orangecrush32 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I'd go with no. Sounds like you'd like that gift, but consider what each individual member of your wedding party would like. You don't need to get them all the same thing.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I personally would not care for this gift at all. It seems like they would have no use for it (as you admit). But you do seem genuinely concerned about them liking their gifts, so I think you are on the right track--there are many ideas out there like this that SOUND great, but really aren't. Think of each WP member individually and what their personal tastes are. You have the right frame of mind, just wrong gift. Shop for them as individuals and I'm sure you'll come up with something good.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • lauraf1202lauraf1202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance actually got one of those as a present from his sister the other day.  We are both still shaking our heads, because to us that was the weirdest Christmas gift ever.  I think this is one of those gifts that perhaps has more significance to the giver than to the recipient.  The book they give you is actually more of a brochure, and the poster they include showing the land your plot is on is maybe 8" by 16".  Its a neat idea, for some people, I think.  We just thought it was incredibly strange... about the equivalent of giving FI a certificate printed up on the computer saying now he could be called "Emperor of the Universe". 
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's adorable, but depending on price - I'd be sure you have enough room left in your budget to give something else more individualized - just for THEM.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    edited December 2011
    The idea of it sounds fun to me and does go well with your theme, but I don't think that it would be a very good BP gift. Like pps said, it probably wouldn't mean anything to them. They will at first think that it is kinda cute, but most will probably end up secretly disappointed. 
    Photobucket
  • lisab613lisab613 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it's certainly interesting, but i think if i got that as a gift i'd be like uh.....thanks? the gifts really don't have to be theme-related, and if the people in your BP aren't into Scotland as much as you are, they probably shouldn't be. if you have a lot of Scottish people in the BP, maybe it would be a cool idea? it sort of depends on that factor, i think. you know best if they'll get a kick out of it or think it's weird.
    Anniversary image<br
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    edited December 2011
    Reasonably certain that's a scam, sweetie. 

http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20101129 (first of a storyline, click Next to continue)
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011

I went to a website to see what the deal is with this:

Here are two of the FAQs:

What can I do with the plot of land?
    As the owner, you can come and visit; walk on the souvenir plot. If you are a member of the Nevis Club, why not try a little fishing in the fresh water lochs a stones throw away from the site. In any event, you will be able to enjoy bird watching, adoring the local wildlife such as deer, country pursuits and plenty of tranquility.

How large is a souvenir plot?
    Each plot is one square foot (12"x12")

So my question is:
    How long does it take to "walk on a <1 square foot /> souvenir plot?  I just measured:  my size 8 foot in my slippers is 10".  That's a short, short walk.....Surprised

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    >>The gift for your WP should be about them, and a thank you to them for their time, money spent, and sharing your wedding with you. IMO, a WP gift should NOT be necessarily related to your wedding at all.  It doesn't need to be a keepsake either.

I don't know how much your "small plot of land" costs, but I'd far rather have a small gc to Panera or a gc for amazon to download a book to my kindle, than something that I'll never, ever, ever see, use, or want.

Yeah.  That.  Totally agree with Trix.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea and your thoughs behind it but it is totally illegal under British lay.

IMO, you get an A+ for the concept, I just wish it was possible
  • skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My guess is most recipients would go - oh thanks!  and then toss the paper the gift is printed on. A couple of people might save them just because they save everything but the others will just get rid of it as something they don't need cluttering up their lives.

It's a cute idea but, to me, it is a super waste of your money. As Trix said, buy them something they want or can use that reflects their tastes. Add something Scottish by wrapping it in plaid paper or plaid bows or something.
  • edited December 2011
    I would vote no.  Don't get them something that has to do with your wedding.  Get them something that is for THEM.
  • deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please don't waste your money.  Also, your gift to them is your way of saying thank you.  For being such a big part of your life, an awesome friend and being a part of your wedding day.  All the money and time they spent to be there with you.  That gift does not say thank you to me.  Find someting they will USE and appreiciate.  Nothing that has to do with you or your wedding.  Nothing with your wedding date on it, not jewelry for them to wear at your wedding. A gift, for THEM.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards