Moms and Maids
Options

SILs want to be bridesmaids.....

My fiance has 2 younger sisters. At the wedding, they will be 16 and 17.  They have both already asked me if they could be in the wedding, but I already have too many bridesmaids..... i dont want them to feel left out, because both my sister and brother will be in the wedding party.
Is there any way that I could combine the flower girl and jr bridesmaids role so they could still feel like part of the wedding? I understand that they are both WAY too old to be flower girls, but none of my family or friends have young girls. 
What would you do?

Re: SILs want to be bridesmaids.....

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have them stand on his side as groom's attendants.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    That ws rude of them to ask, but they're young, so it isn't a big deal. Poor kids probably didnt know better. My boyfriend's sister already staked claim on being my junior bridesmaid. Yeah,that's right, I said boyfriend. I'm not even engaged and the poor kid is asking to be in my wedding party lol.

but I already have too many bridesmaids
    What do you mean too many? Is there a max limit to how many girls you're allowed in your bridal party? If you dont' want them, though, that's a better reason than there being a limit.
    You can always have them stand on his side.
    And they might feel like they're too old to be flower girls, but you can ask them how they feel about it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want them as junior bridesmaids, why not just drop the "junior"? Junior bridesmaid is kind of meaningless to me and 16/17 is way too old for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you don't want to include them as bms, let them be goomswomen. They could wear the same dress as the bms, in the same or complimentary color. At 16 and 17, they are probably not going to want to be junior anything.

• Options
    immaeetuimmaeetu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're having your brother on your side, then it really makes sense for your FI to have his sisters on his side.  Talk to him about it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't imagine not having my DH's siblings not be in the wedding.  But that's how things roll in my area.  Siblings are a given, friends and cousins are gravy.
  • Options
    jcamm11jcamm11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many do you have?  The sides don't have to be even, if you really want to add two more, just do it.  If you really don't want to do that though, I guess they'll just have to suck it up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_sils-want-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:61e9b681-9d0b-40c5-95c2-bd35321dfbc9Post:0f864417-9fed-4e7e-9936-e7187e5c8bd5">Re: SILs want to be bridesmaids.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]My SILs-to-be also asked to be bridesmaids, although they are younger (13yo twins).  I explained that I was having people that I'd known my whole life as my bridesmaids, but that they are still special and I want them in the wedding.  Instead of having your SILs as junior bridemaids, they could be candlelighters or have some important role in the reception.  You could also include them in the wedding party photos and activities without having them actually be bridesmaids. 
    Posted by adw0112[/QUOTE]

<div>This is bad advice. Don't give them pity jobs.</div>
  • Options
    vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_sils-want-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:61e9b681-9d0b-40c5-95c2-bd35321dfbc9Post:5932ed82-04cd-406a-b194-8e99cd7da619">Re: SILs want to be bridesmaids.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't imagine not having my DH's siblings not be in the wedding.  But that's how things roll in my area.  Siblings are a given, friends and cousins are gravy.
    Posted by seniah[/QUOTE]
    Ha, before FI and I were even engaged his sister told me that she would never be a bridesmaid in our wedding, so I shouldn't even ask.  What a peach.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure they are really excited that you and their brother are getting married.  Even though it wasn't right of them to ask, I'm sure they just didn't know better.

Where you're including your sister and your brother (is he on your side or on your groom's side?), I think it would be really hurtful to exclude his sisters in the wedding party (be it on your side or your Fi's side).  There is no rule on how many attendants you can have or having even numbers on both sides.

DH's sisters are 12 and 14 years older than me and had no desire to be BMs when we got married.  But we did have his 12 y.o. and 15 y.o. nieces as BMs as a way to include his family as well.  They were so excited when we asked them and so excited to be part of our wedding.
    Kate ~ Mommy to Matthew 3/29/07 & Kylie 12/30/08 & Chase 3/31/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards