Moms and Maids
Options

Mother's Dress

So...I was telling my mom that every wedding that I have been to that I can think of the mothers have worn a jacket with their dresses.  My mom is totally against this! Do I push for it or do I let her be herself and be comfortable on my wedding day?  I already know that she won't wear a traditional mother's dress and that's ok with me.  Any suggestions? What are your moms wearing?

Re: Mother's Dress

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your mom should wear what she feels comfortable and beautiful in.  Please tell me that you don't really care if her dress has a jacket or not.

FWIW:  I was MOB last year, and my simply smashing dress did not have a jacket.  The dress my DD's MIL wore did not have a jacket.

You get to choose your attire, and that of your WP.  You don't get to choose what the moms wear.  Let your mom be fabulous and comfortable at the wedding.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    djoann958djoann958 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a mother of the bride. Alot of the dresses I have been looking at are strapless (but come with optional straps which I don't like). They come with jackets- some very stylish, but some boxy and old fashioned. I am leaning towards getting one without a jacket and here is why.
    My daughter is getting married in Florida in Feb. The ceremony is in church- the jacket would be worn. The reception is outside. The weather could be chilly or average or HOT!. If it is hot, I am going to be very uncomfortable without the jacket (too much skin showing- for me, that is).
    I am probably going to get a dress with some type of unusual neckline for visual interest. The one I have my heart set on is off the shoulder and I am going to get a chiffon wrap just in case it is chilly.
    There is no rule that says a mom has to wear a dress with a jacket. I want something different, but I don't want to look like a BM (one bridal shop told me since I was so young  I should get a BM dress). I want to look elegant and stylish.
    Don't worry if your mom doesn't want a jacket. As long as she gets a dress she loves she will look beautiful!
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my mom is wearing a sleveless dress.  She loves it even though I would have probably picked something different.  Let your mom be.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let your mother wear what she wants.  Unless it's inappropriate for the venue (like a conservative church) she should be just fine.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly?  I couldn't tell you if my mom's or SMIL's dresses had sleeves.  I know they didn't wear jackets, and I remember in general the colors they wore.  Beyond that, I'd have to check the photos.  All eight of them that included one of the mothers.

It doesn't matter.  I promise.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I wore a jacket over strapless because it was  a church wedding and also because it was late September.  The day turned out beautiful and sunny so I removed the jacket when I left the church, before the receiving line
  • Options
    psuxray07psuxray07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom isn't wearing a jacket.  Her outfit is a 2 piece, the top being, um, I forget if there's a name for it or not  - it only has one shoulder "strap".  The bottom is about floor length.  Now, she may get a shawl or something, because my wedding is in Dec., but a jacket isn't a rule or anything.  Let your mom be comfortable!  I'm sure she will still look good. :)
    *12.31.10*New Year's Eve!*
    *BFP 1.3.13* IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is no requirement that she wear a jacket. Perhaps you have other concerns on what she will wear.
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those traditional mother of the bride dresses aren't for everyone.  My mom thought that's what she had to wear even though she didn't like the look of them.  Me neither.  She got something much more her and she looked awesome.  Let. it. go.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mother will be wearing whatever she wants.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yey Jackie!

• Options
    lmcit23lmcit23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my mother is not wearing a jacket or wrap either her dress is just off the shoulder.  Let her be comfortable but tasteful.
  • Options
    skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both my dresses for DD's wedding and for DS's weddings have jackets.  I wanted dresses with jackets, neither DD or FDIL cared one way or another.  I wanted a sleeveless dress with a jacket so that if it's cool either at the church or reception I can wear the jacket. If it's warm I will still probably wear the jackets during the weddings but take them off for the receptins.  The dress for DD's wedding is a sleveless sheath with empire waist jacket.  The dress for DS's wedding is sleeveless dress (actually 1.5" straps over the shoulders) with a sheer jacket with 3/4 length sleeves.

I wanted DD and FDIL's opinions just so that I know the dresses both fit right but not for them to tell me what to wear or not to wear. I'm old enough to pick out clothes for myself - I've actually been doing it for a few years now!
  • Options
    longman801longman801 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A few days ago, my good friend Green married. He was wearing a very

fashionable http://www.unique-weddingdresses.us/2010-wedding-dresses-c

-52.html

we all feel that
    he is younger than before.We spent a wonderful time that night, His

wedding dress was intoxicated people. He
    said there is a lot of concessions if you buy wedding dresses in that

shop,moreover,
    wedding gowns are good quality. And they wholesale wedding dresses are

not only good quality but also fashionable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally...for me the jacket covers a tattoo and arms that are JUST a tad wobbly for photos  Surprised
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards