Moms and Maids
Options

BM gift budget and gift ideas... not sure

Hello all!

I wanted to get all of your insights about a budget for gifts for the BMs.  I was expecting between $60-130 gift budget for each lady in my wedding party.  I also wanted to pay for their hotel rooms, jewelry, hair, makeup which is not a gift at all but standard protocol. Do you all think I am estimating about right?  I also need gift ideas, I was thinking about gifting each lady with a bottle or wine or champange that comes from a country that they want to visit/are from/ etc. in additoin to some things they would like, for example, gift cards, etc.  Am I aiming in the right direction? Or does that idea suck? Also, I have a MOH that sells Avon, i thought about buying the BM their makeup from AVON/Mark for the day of. Thoughts?

Re: BM gift budget and gift ideas... not sure

• Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You pretty much have the right mindset. Get them something that you know each girl individually will enjoy. If you know what kind of wine drinkers they are that sounds great, same with the GCs. The only thing I caution is the makeup, some people are really particular about what kind of makeup to get because some people have sensitive skin and can break out (I have a couple of friends like this).

Other then that, you are on the mark with everything (though you technically do not have to pay for their rooms but that's what your circle does then awesome).
  • Options
    LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow... can I be your bridesmaid? I think the amount of things you're able to pay for is fantastic and I wish it was in my budget to do all of that for my girls. I think the price is going to depend on the price of your hotel room... the hotel rooms where we're having our wedding at are between $89-119 per night.  I love, love, love the wine/champagne idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about the gift cards... You just have such a personal touch with the wine/champagne where as the gift cards feel a little bit less personal. Buying make-up is fun, but can be tricky with skin tones and preferences. I think your thoughts are definitely headed in some good directions though =) Seriously.. wine/champage... I love it.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bm-gift-budget-gift-ideas-not-sure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:7daea6ed-a553-48ac-a5a9-d5badb7666b6Post:f799f9f6-7b1c-4751-b15a-79727f5cbc07">BM gift budget and gift ideas... not sure</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello all! I wanted to get all of your insights about a budget for gifts for the BMs.  I was expecting between $60-130 gift budget for each lady in my wedding party.  I also wanted to pay for their hotel rooms, jewelry, hair, makeup which is not a gift at all but standard protocol. Do you all think I am estimating about right?  I also need gift ideas, I was thinking about gifting each lady with a bottle or wine or champange that comes from a country that they want to visit/are from/ etc. in additoin to some things they would like, for example, gift cards, etc.  Am I aiming in the right direction? Or does that idea suck? Also, I have a MOH that sells Avon, i thought about buying the BM their makeup from AVON/Mark for the day of. Thoughts?
    Posted by cdm322[/QUOTE]
    You definitely have the right general idea, and most of this is good.  Some quibbles:

- I'd skip getting them jewelry, unless you're getting them nice (we're talking heirloom quality) stuff that matches each girl's individual taste rather than the dresses.  I'm sure they already own suitable jewelry or can get their hands on some, and it's a nearly invisible detail.

- The wine thing is a good idea if they're all wine people, but not everyone is.  DH and I never drink the stuff, we're craft beer folk.  Remember they don't all have to get the same thing, or even the same type of thing.

- Some people are really picky about what goes on their face, and new makeup can cause adverse reactions including breakouts.   That's not something you want to discover on your wedding day!  I brought in a stylist for my girls, but and while all six used her for hair, they all opted to do their own makeup with supplies they already own, like, and trust.  I think you can maybe offer to get them a deal/cover part of the cost if they wanted to get some Avon stuff for the wedding, but I wouldn't press it if any of them aren't interested.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you have great ideas...I just agree with PP's on maybe skipping the makeup...I know my face is very sensitive to new stuff. I'm a huge wine drinker, but not everyone is. If they all are and you know their wine preferences, I think that's a good gift. If not, don't hesitate to get them all different things.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bm-gift-budget-gift-ideas-not-sure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:7daea6ed-a553-48ac-a5a9-d5badb7666b6Post:cd970a4c-ffe0-487d-9194-ef328a1fb809">Re: BM gift budget and gift ideas... not sure</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Wow... can I be your bridesmaid?</strong> I think the amount of things you're able to pay for is fantastic and I wish it was in my budget to do all of that for my girls. I think the price is going to depend on the price of your hotel room... the hotel rooms where we're having our wedding at are between $89-119 per night.  I love, love, love the wine/champagne idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about the gift cards... You just have such a personal touch with the wine/champagne where as the gift cards feel a little bit less personal. Buying make-up is fun, but can be tricky with skin tones and preferences. I think your thoughts are definitely headed in some good directions though =) Seriously.. wine/champage... I love it.
    Posted by LoveMuffins[/QUOTE]
    Ya know?  I think you are going above and beyond.  You are awesome and your wine idea is stunning.  I agree to skip the makeup, but maybe your Avon friend does parties and you can have a girls night and gift them something of their choice?  GL
    Blog Planning Site Anniversary 2007- Fell down stairs, herniated 4 disks, Degenerative Disk Disease, Facet Arthritis Perfectly healthy previous to this fall. 2008- Diagnosed Hypothyroid 2010- Diagnosed severe Vitamin D deficiency and Chronic Mono 2011- Diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis, Carpal Tunnel, and Calcified Tendinitis in right shoulder
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish I could do as much for my bridesmaids as you! It sounds like you are on the right track. Like PP's have said I do not know about the makeup. Personally, I have very sensitive skin that requires specific products. However, if you know specific things they like from Avon I would go for it. 
    I am getting each of my bridesmaids different things that fit each of their personalities. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards