Moms and Maids
Options

Most stupid? question but I don't know about this at all.

Hi, ladies! 

I'm from South Korea and we don't have a bridesmaid, groomsmen whole thing in weddings. (just parents and the bride and groom. No one stand next to the couple) 

Anyway, I'm getting married in Feb.2011. My FI is an american guy.
He is going to have his two younger brothers as groomsmen. 

I asked my best friends (They are not from here, nor Korea) to be my bridesmaids. We did not say details yet. They just were happy for me and said yes! sure! happy to!

Anyway, I didn't even know who to ask this. 

What is traditional? Bride pay for dress, hair and make up and gifts 
for the bridesmaids? 

or usually, bridesmaids get the dress by themselves, and I offer them
hair and make up from my pocket? 

We are having a budget wedding so, yes I do have pressure about 
this whole wedding thing but still, I don't want them to be upset or
rude to my gfs.. :(  

Re: Most stupid? question but I don't know about this at all.

• Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First of all congratulations!

In American culture, bridesmaids are usually expected to purchase their own dress, with that being said we advise Brides to talk individually to each of their bridesmaids and ask what their price range they are comfortable in spending for the dress and respect that budget range when picking the dress.

As for hair and make up, if you are requiring it to be professionally done then you pay for it. If you are leaving it as optional then it's up to them. 

With that being said, I know there are some culture circles (I want to say Filipino maybe?) that the Bride pays for everything. So just check in whatever country your gfs are from to see what is customary. Also if they are coming a long ways to be in the wedding try to be as accommodating as possible with their expenses, we recommend to Brides to just pick a designer, color, and dress length and let their bridesmaids choose their own dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_stupid-question-but-dont-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:7f52dd6d-e8c3-4d53-a13f-2747b30b5e98Post:95517188-f505-4372-94a4-d142ac2669b7">Most stupid? question but I don't know about this at all.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, ladies!  I'm from South Korea and we don't have a bridesmaid, groomsmen whole thing in weddings. (just parents and the bride and groom. No one stand next to the couple)  Anyway, I'm getting married in Feb.2011. My FI is an american guy. He is going to have his two younger brothers as groomsmen.  I asked my best friends (They are not from here, nor Korea) to be my bridesmaids. We did not say details yet. They just were happy for me and said yes! sure! happy to! Anyway, I didn't even know who to ask this.  <strong>What is traditional? Bride pay for dress, hair and make up and gifts  for the bridesmaids?  or usually, bridesmaids get the dress by themselves, and I offer them hair and make up from my pocket?  We are having a budget wedding so, yes I do have pressure about  this whole wedding thing but still, I don't want them to be upset or rude to my gfs</strong>.. :(  
    Posted by oskiemom89[/QUOTE]

If you ask someone to be in your WP, then they assume responsibility of paying for the dress. However, it is wise to ask your BM's their budgets before selecting dresses. If one of them has trouble paying for her dress and you still really want her in the wedding, then it would be nice, of course, if you could help her pick up the tab.

If you are requiring your BM's to get their hair and make-up done professionally, then you need to pay for it. However, this should not be part of their BM's gifts from you, but just an expense of the wedding itself.

As far as BM's and GM's gifts go, you should shop for them like you would if it were their birthday or Christmas. What are their hobbies/interests? What is their favorite store? Use these questions as a guide and go from there. You know your friends best.

You may also want to lurk some on these boards to get and idea of planning a wedding in the US. There is a lot of helpful advice on here. If you have any questions, just ask.

Good luck with the wedding planning. And congrats on your engagement.
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In America, the bridesmaids pay for the dress.  In most other cultures, the bride does.  Pretty much universally, the bride pays for anything else she requires, but if something is left with a lot of choices or optional (i.e. wear any gold sandals, you can go to the salon with me if you want), the bridesmaids can be expected to pay if they opt in.

Just be open and honest about finances.  Call them up or meet up with them (individually, please) and ask, "How much are you comfortable spending on a bridesmaid dress?"  Then look for something that falls under the lowest number. 
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    usually, bridesmaids get the dress by themselves, and I offer them
    hair and make up from my pocket

Yeah.  That.
  • Options
    lauraf1202lauraf1202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  I am Filipino (and a Kansas City bride, also) and I will be paying for my bridesmaids' dresses.  I know it is not customary for American weddings, but my best friends will be travelling from Seattle to be in our wedding, so I am doing it as a favor to them.  Since they are doing such a kind favor for me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards