Moms and Maids
Options

meeting of the moms

My FI and I have been together for three and a half years and are now engaged. Due to my mothers 2weeks on 2weeks off work schedule and his parents living 1,000 miles away, they have not met yet.
My mother is very excited and knows my FI very well. I have stayed with my FI's parrents a few time when we went to visit and attended his family's disney vacation. 

His mother is also very excited about the  wedding and is already asking me 500 questions to which most I do not have an answer yet. She reciently asked me if I had found a wedding dress yet and since our weddingis still 14 months away I have not even looked yet.
She keeps hinting that she wants to go dress shopping with me my mom and sister which I am totally excited about however I think it might be weird for them to meet for the first time in that capacity. .

Should I try to arrange a meeting first before scheduling a trip where all of us will be out of town together?

What if they do not get along???

Re: meeting of the moms

• Options
    Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't stress about whether or not the mom's get along. I am sure both are so excited about your upcoming wedding- that is what they will discuss. It is nice that your FI's mom wants to go dress shopping with you and if you are cool with that; then it's a great place to meet. However, your mom is the mother of the bride and I don't care who thinks differently- she is the one. Have fun and don't stress.
  • Options
    quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since they live so far away, it's probably not feasible for there to be a separate trip just to meet prior to dress shopping.  Our moms met for the first time when we all went together to look at venues and it was fine.  I wouldn't stress about it.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are wanting to do a mother/daughter wedding gown trip before FMIL then go for it. As for MOG/MOB meeting before the dress trip I wouldn't worry about it. If both sets of moms are excited then I doubt there will be any disliking, if they don't connect I'm sure that they will act like the adult they are and not say anything. If you wanted to do a brunch/lunch before dress shopping just to better introduce one another then that would be the best idea without having to do an extra meet up. All in all, don't stress out, sounds like you have two very happy mothers who are excited about their children's wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's an MOBs point of view. I have looked forward to shopping with my DD for that special dress for a very long time. Although I wouldn't make a fuss about it, I think I would feel a little bit hurt about sharing that moment with the MOG, whether I knew her or not.

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_meeting-of-moms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:833086f5-dd1a-44e3-a250-a7fee68ec584Post:f56c4b6c-c249-4b7d-8a66-c9ef9193eea2">Re: meeting of the moms</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here's an MOBs point of view. I have looked forward to shopping with my DD for that special dress for a very long time. Although I wouldn't make a fuss about it, I think I would feel a little bit hurt about sharing that moment with the MOG, whether I knew her or not.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I didn't go dress shopping with my wonderful DIL and her mom.  I like her mom.  We get along beautifully.  But that was a day for the two of them.

Likewise, my DD and I went shopping together.  I would have been less than happy to have her MIL along with us.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    KristiL6KristiL6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I also feel like it's a Mom's special honor and day when she gets to go wedding dress shopping with her daughter and that happy moment might be dimmed a bit if other people are brought along for the event. I watch a lot of Say Yes to the Dress! and I have seen a couple episode where the Mom is completely left out because there is a huge entorage. What I chose to do was go with my Mom and my Mom alone. That day we chose the dress. A few days later I had my Mom, the MOG, the MOH and the BMs come to the bridal shop with me. I had a luncheon at my apartment before then we all headed to the shop in our own cars. Once there I put on the dress for all the ladies to ooh and ahhh. Then the MOB and MOG tried on Mother dresses and the MOH and BMs tried on bridesmaids dresses. It worked out really well and everyone got to feel included and important. But most important my Mom felt she got the spotlight that every mom deserves.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards