Moms and Maids
Options

When to order?

My Wedding is May 29th 2011. i have the bridemaid dresses already picked out, but when should I have the girls order? Also, my bridesmaids are not all in one location so they will be finding a store in their local area to order the dress from.

Re: When to order?

• Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't suggest my bridesmaids order until late May for an early October wedding.  We had them in plenty of time for alterations and the timeline worked for everyone.

I am going to be a bridesmaid next September and we all ordered our dresses in August of this year, because the bride wanted us to.  (I think the colour/style/something was up for being discontinued?)  I didn't mind, although I did order it a size too large and will just have it altered accordingly next summer since I'm on medications that cause up and down weight issues and a year is a LONG time off for a dress fitting!)

In you case, I'd likely go with early February just to make sure everyone has time to save money for it AND allow time for slow shipment and alterations.

If it's a specific style by a major designer, just have each girl take in a photo, the style number, and the colour to their local boutique, and politely ask each of them to let you know when it arrives.  That way they've handled it all, you'll have the peace of mind of knowing they all have their dresses, and no one is pressed into a set date to have it by.

I also hope they had input on the dress. :)

Good luck!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This depends, if its a DB dress they usually get in under 3 months (even faster I have heard). If its not DB, local Bridal Shops give various estimates usually 5 months is what it takes for most. So I would say November-December if its not David's Bridal. 
  • Options
    mkjpopmkjpop member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  We all just picked out the BM dresses for my wedding, which is June 18, 2011. The woman at the shop said we should order them around Jan 5 at the LATEST - she said not much happens during December b.c. of all the holidays. The more coordinating your girls need to do to order, the earlier they should do it. Maybe give a deadline of Nov 15?

Congrats on finding the bm dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    158 image 125 image 33 image 0image RSVP Date: May 27
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Get an idea of your bridesmaids' price ranges very first of all.  Then look around to get an idea of what designers are available in your price range that have dresses you generally like (you don't have to pick anything specific yet), and contact a few stores to find out the latest that they recommend you should order.  The timeframe will vary significantly depending on whether you go with a department store, a chain like David's Bridal, or an upscale designer.

ETA: Reading comprehension fail.  Since you already have the dress picked, skip to the "call the bridal store" step.  They should have an idea of how long your chosen dress will take to come in.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You don't need to order them until at least after the first of the new year. I got married in June and my BM's dresses were ordered in March. We got them from DB and they came in very quickly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It definitely depends on the company that the dresses are from.  Jasmine Bridal (think B2, Belsoie, etc) took 6 months - we ordered early August for my friend's March wedding, and they didn't come in until mid-January.  We were definitely getting nervous.  My girls used David's bridal and it took about 2 months.  It can take time, so know your label!
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I say by mid December.  DB dresses, I've ordered 3, never had one take more tha 3 weeks to come in

• Options
    edited December 2011
    For my May 21, 2011 wedding, I was told to order by Thanksgiving!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jkjwfu92jkjwfu92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with other people that it all depends on where you order.  My wedding is in April but we ordered the BM dresses in August (they should here in December).  We ordered early because they had a 20% discount sale in August.  This designer (Jenny Yoo) does discounts twice a year and wouldn't have another one until too late to order for April.  It may have been a bit early but it saved a considerably amount of money.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards