Moms and Maids
Options

Would it be weird....

FI told me that his sister did not like the color I picked out for the dresses. Thats fine, I didn't chose it to please other people. But anyway it made me think about letting the girls wear the same exact dress but let them pick out which color they would like to wear? It has a ribbon that wraps around it and I thought we could keep it white and that could be the common color. I mean, does a wedding necessarily need to have a themed color?

Re: Would it be weird....

• Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can certainly let them pick whatever color they like.  There was a post about this on Wedding Party a few days ago where people put in pictures of multi-colored wedding parties.  I'll try to find it.

And, really?  You didn't pick the color to please anyone else?  I had my fiance help me pick a color last night that could be worn by everyone and match anything else anyone wanted to wear.  My sister and his best friend don't have to wear bright orange fuschia in my wedding just because I said so. I want everyone to like what they're putting on!

However, I think your solution here is quite good!!

EDIT:  Here ya go!! http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-dresses-9
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's your wedding so do what you want! Every tradition and etiquette rule had to start somewhere so just think of those as general guidelines or just what everyone else is doing.

I'm going with black bridesmaids dress. Haven't quite decided the length but there are a few I like so I may let them choose their favorite style.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well what color is the dress?  And assuming she's paying, I too would not be pleased if someone put me in a color without considering what looks good on this God-given ghostly white skin of mine.  I think a good bride should be a accommodating and take such things into consideration.  You don't necessarily have to choose a color to please others, but I am of the opinion that you should choose a dress that will please others.  

I think letting them wear different colors is a good option, or if you aren't locked into your color choice, choosing another color altogether might be a good idea.  
  • Options
    ManwaithielManwaithiel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Of course it's fine. There are tons of pictures on this very website with multi-colored BMs. It's cool looking.

And as BMs are paying for the dresses, making sure they actually LIKE the dresses they're buying is nice too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine had a rainbow bridal party with each girl in a different color dress and it was really pretty. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I took all of my bridesmaids with me to try on dresses and help me to pick a color of dresses. It was SO much easier to pick a color of dresses when I actually saw what the colors looked like on each girl. Granted they could just be trying to please me but everyone seemed to love their dresses and love the color. I should add that I let them pick what ever dress they wanted as long as it was the color and was short or could be made short. They all decided to stick with the same material. I wanted each girlk to be comfortable at the wedding, they will have to be in those dresses for a long time that day. I got to pick my dress, why shouldnt they?
    Married since 5/21/2011
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    TheCranberryTheCranberry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're doing different colors, just make sure they are in a similar family (color category?).  For instance, I think jewel tones would look weird mixed with pastels.  That type of thing.
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I hated the color of the dress my sister picked out for us (dark chocolate brown, same exact color as my hair - I didn't feel pretty at all in it or that it was flattering in any way), but because she loved it, I shut up about it and wore it anyway.  I still can't look at the pictures.  However, it made her happy, and it still makes her happy.  FWIW...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Black is the new ______ (insert color choise here). It's basic and everyone looks good in it! :) I changed my colors 3 different times because my bridesmaids didn't seem too thrilled about my color choices. That didn't bother me though, because 1. I'm not the one wearing it, and 2. They're paying for it. I did let them choose their own style of dress also, because feeling comfortable in it is most important.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Back in the day, they used to call it a "rainbow" wedding, and it was very popular.  I like the idea.  I also love the idea of different shades of the same color:  telling everyone to get purple, or blue, etc. 

There was a picture posted here a couple of weeks ago with a bride who did that with all of her WP in different shades of blue, and I thought it looked smashing.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards