Moms and Maids

Maid and Matron

What is the difference between the brides maid and a Matron of Honor?  Is it ok to have both in a wedding?

Re: Maid and Matron

• mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A matron is married, the maid is not.

Yes it's fine to have them both as long as there aren't only 3 girls in the WP, because the other one would be left out. In that case have them all BM's.

I have a WP of 5, with 1 maid of honor and 1 matron of honor.

ETA: I read your OP wrong, I thought you meant the difference between a maid and matron of honor.
  • garggrlgarggrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The matron of honor is a married maid of honor, who is usually a sister or best friend, they are just the honored bridesmaid(the female version of a best man). A bridesmaid is in the wedding party, the female version of a groomsmen.

Yes, it is ok to have them both.
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The ladies pretty much nailed it.

Maid of Honor (for not married) and Matron of Honor (married) are just title for the closest girl in the group of bridesmaids. The only difference is usually the MOH gets to sign the marriage license, is closest to the Bride, holds the Brides bouquet.

She is usually the person that is charge of pre-wedding parties (which is optional for ANY MOH and BMs to host).

That is pretty much my mindset when it comes to MOH vs BM.
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Matron just means a married woman, but most married women still prefer to go by maid because they find that matron sounds old.  If you're considering having a matron of honour, ask her how she'd prefer to be called.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards