Moms and Maids

Unique Wedding Toast

Hi! My sister is getting married in July. Does anyone have suggestions for unique wedding toasts, other than, poem, song or rap?

Re: Unique Wedding Toast

• bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't try to be unique, try to be heartfelt.  No one will remember the toast, anyway.  My father gave a toast that I remember being moved to tears by, and sadly I dont' remember anymore what he said.  

A generic poem (that is NOT unique if someone else wrote it) is not the way to go here if you want to be heartfelt and entertaining.  Few people like to listen to poetry, and half the wedding "poems" out there aren't poetry, though they do rhyme.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Brooke, just write something from the heart and it will be unique because no stranger will know your sister better than you to write a meaningful toast.
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    edited December 2011
    The best wedding toasts aren't clever or funny or unique.  They're SHORT.  A few lines about how much you love the couple, "Raise your glasses," and sit down.  Best wedding toast ever.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011
    What do you love about your sister?  What do you love about your FBIL?  What is your fondest memory of your sister?  What is your fondest memory of the two of them together?  What do you hope for them in your marriage?

There's your toast.  And one other piece of advice.  Keep it short and sweet.  And by short, I mean under 2 1/2 minutes.  Practice it.  Practice it with a stopwatch or timer so that you know exactly how long it will be.

People want to hear something lovely, heartfelt, and short.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    best toast i've ever witnessed was the bride's sister reading a passage from their favorite childhood book. the passage was about finding your way/moving toward the future. it was 30 seconds long and half the room was crying. perfect!
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011
    My BIL's toast at our wedding:  "To trix and mr.trix.  May it be a long and happy one."

Everyone laughed, we howled, and everyone drank their champagne.  Pretty great toast, IMO.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

Keep it short and sweet.

• edited December 2011
    Our best man gave this toast:  "To Phyllis who told me 4 years ago that she would be here today, and to Gary who still doesn't believe it."  Everyone howled...it was SO true!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OK, I'm going to take this from another point of view, and assume that you have already thought of writing an original toast, and for some reason, you do not want to do that and you are looking for something already written.

In that case, here's what we used.  I have put the original version, and then the revised version that we used for the toast.  The person leading the toast held her glass until the end where there are two lines beginning with MAY.  That's where she raised her glass, said the last two lines, and that was the end of the toast.

Apache Blessing - original version Now you will feel no rain,
    for each of you will be shelter for the other.
    Now you will feel no cold,
    for each of you will be warmth to the other.
    Now there will be no loneliness,
    for each of you will be companion to the other.
    Now you are two persons,
    but there is only one life before you.
    May beauty surround you both in the
    journey ahead and through all the years,
    May happiness be your companion and
    your days together be good and long upon the earth.
    Treat yourselves and each other with respect, and
    remind yourselves often of what brought you together.
    Give the highest priority to the tenderness,
    gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves.
    When frustration, difficulties and fear assail your relationship,
    as they threaten all relationships at one time or another,
    remember to focus on what is right between you,
    not only the part which seems wrong.
    In this way, you can ride out the storms when
    clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives - remembering that
    even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there.
    And if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your
    life together, it will be marked by abundance and delight.
    -----------
    Apache Blessing - edited version we used Treat yourselves and each other with respect, and
    remind yourselves often of what brought you together.
    Give the highest priority to the tenderness,
    gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves.
    When frustration, difficulties and fear assail your relationship,
    as they threaten all relationships at one time or another,
    remember to focus on what is right between you,
    not only the part which seems wrong.
    In this way, you can ride out the storms when
    clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives - remembering that
    even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there.
    And if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your
    life together, it will be marked by abundance and delight.
    May beauty surround you both in the
    journey ahead and through all the years,
    May happiness be your companion and
    your days together be good and long upon the earth.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards